Rustic Sourdough Bread

Tue, 26 Nov 2019 00:03:22 -0800
v119.n048.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Rustic Sourdough

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted

   227                g  ripe (fed) sourdough starter -- (1C or 8 oz)
   340                g  lukewarm water -- (1 1/2C or 12 oz)
   1          teaspoons  instant yeast -- Tip*, (to 2 tsp)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   602                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (5C or 21 1/4 oz)

This chewy loaf, with its deep-brown crust, has rich, deep, flavor,
and very mild tang. We love this bread for its chewiness and golden
crust, ideal qualities for panini; try it with ham and cheese, for a
new take on that favorite sandwich.

PREP: 12 mins. to 15 mins.
BAKE: 25 mins. to 30 mins.
TOTAL: 3 hrs 7 mins. to 3 hrs 45 mins.
YIELD: Two 10" loaves, 32 servings

Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.

Allow the dough to rise, in a lightly greased, covered bowl, until
it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.

Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves,
two 10" to 11" logs. Place the loaves on a lightly greased or
parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy,
about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425F.

Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.

Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread
knife, wielded firmly, works well here.

Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden
brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.

Tips: Why the range in yeast amount? If you're sure your starter is
healthy and vigorous, and you don't mind potentially extending
somewhat the rise times listed above, use 1 teaspoon yeast. If your
starter seems a bit lethargic (or you want to keep your rise times on
the shorter side), go with 2 teaspoons.

For an assertively sour loaf, read our recipe for Extra-Tangy
Sourdough Bread. (See separate recipe)

Want a brick oven effect? Rather than dividing the dough into two
separate loaves, shape it into one large ball, and place it in the
base of a round covered stoneware baker, such as La Cloche. Put the
lid on, and let the loaf rise for 1 hour. Make two slashes on top of
the bread, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, removing the lid of the
baker for the final 5 minutes of baking.

Cal 80, Carb 17g, Sod 180mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: Here is another recipe to use some of my discarded starter. I
am teaching my son how to make sourdough starter and bread. He helped
me shape the dough into loaves. I did not watch my time closely
enough so I let it rise too long the first time but that will not
stop us from eating it. He has already asked when we will have enough
discarded starter to make more and we have not eaten the first two loaves yet.

Review: I have searched and tried many recipes and this is THE
Sourdough Recipe for our household. This is sooooo good! After
reading other reviews, I baked load in my cast iron Dutch oven for 30
min. covered and 10 min uncovered. Smelt heavenly in the house and
tastes even better.

Review: I made one giant loaf in a 5 qt lodge Dutch Oven. In
hindsight, I probably could have left out the packaged yeast because
my starter (Roscoe) is pretty lively stuff.. As someone else
suggested, I set the works in the oven while it heated. Boy, did it
rise! 25 minutes after oven hit 425F, then uncovered and another ten
to brown the top.

Review: I've been baking bread and using sourdough for a number of
years now, and always looking for something new for a bit more tang
in the flavor. Had a good window of time on a cool and rainy day this
weekend, so tried the recipe out and it came out great! Will be one
of my go-to recipes from now on. Recipes seems to be pretty flexible
too. I used unfed starter( hooch stirred in, at room temp), 2 C whole
wheat to 3 C unbleached flour, and mixed the dough in the bread
machine. Put in big bowl for the 90 min. rise, per my usual in oven
that had been preheated for 2 min. at 200F. Even on the cool day (
60-ish in the house) the 1 hour rising time after shaping was enough.
Came out terrific, great taste and consistency.

Review: So good! Baked in Dutch oven with 2tsp of yeast. My breads
are always a failure in my bread machine so I'm so happy with this
recipe. So easy. Crunchy outside moist inside without being soggy and
not too tangy. Will do it again and again!

Review: Super fast and easy! Great texture with mild [sourdough]
flavor. Made one very large beautiful, boule in my cast iron dutch
oven. Live at 7800' elevation and didn't adjust anything, except 10
minutes for browning vs the 5 min listed in recipe. Making more to
share with my neighbors!

Review: I just cut into my first piece of this loaf and it is
stunning. I ran out of AP flour and ended up using 3 cups AP flour, 2
cups of bread flour and then 4 extra teaspoons of water and it came
out perfectly.

Review: I know it's marked "intermediate" but this was my first bread
recipe and it turned out fabulously. I would have gone for an
easier-looking recipe, except I didn't have any instant yeast on
hand, just my starter. Also, I ran out of the all-purpose flour and
had to use a cup of bread flour. In any case, the texture and taste
of the bread were both awesome, it was quite a first result and
encourages me to definitely try a few more recipes. Next time, I'm
going to try something with more sour tang.

Review: Made this yesterday, ended up doubling the recipe and it
barely fit in my kitchen aid bowl! Baked three ways. I did in a Dutch
oven, in a ceramic casserole and on parchment/baking sheet. All
tasted great, crusts were good, but the Dutch oven was amazing. Crust
was beautiful and golden brown and the steaming factor made it
amazing. Will make this again for sure.

Review: I made a 1/2 portion of this recipe in my 2Qt Lodge dutch
oven and it turned out great! After 80 minutes into the final rise I
placed the covered dutch oven in a cold oven. When oven reached 425F,
I started my timer and baked for 25 min (195F internal temp). Came
out nice and airy with a perfect crust. Next time I will bake 2
loaves because it went so fast. Keeper recipe for sure.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/rustic-sourdough-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 152 Calories; trace Fat (2.5%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 335mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0727