Arizona Cornbread

Wed, 27 Nov 2019 20:45:32 -0800
v119.n048.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Cornbread, Arizona

Recipe By     :Margaret Pache
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   1                cup  cornmeal
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (2 pkgs (1/4 oz each))
   1           teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  pepper
   1                cup  sour cream
      1/2           cup  canola oil
      1/2           cup  chopped green onions
   2              large  eggs
   1 1/4           cups  shredded pepper jack cheese
   1                cup  cream-style corn
   2                     jalapeno peppers -- seeded and chopped
   5               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6C)
                         Additional cornmeal
                         Melted butter

Unlike other cornbreads, this one uses yeast. With oil and sour
cream, this moist, tender loaf has a bit of zip to it from the peppers.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 2 loaves (16 slices each)

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. In a
saucepan, heat the sour cream, oil and onions to 120-130F. Add to
cornmeal mixture; beat until blended. Beat in eggs, cheese, corn and
jalapenos. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half. Shape into two loaves. Grease two 9x5" loaf pans; dust with
additional cornmeal. Place loaves seam side down in prepared pans.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Brush butter over loaves. Bake at 375F until golden brown, 30 to 35
minutes; cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove
from pans to wire racks to cool.

Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the
oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.

Cal 164, Fat 7g, Carb 21g, Sod 151mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: Delicious! Very moist, slightly more crumbly than your ususal
yeast bread, but a very nice texture. The only thing I'll do
differently next time is add a little more jalapeno.

Review: I left out the jalapeno peppers and used Pepper Jack cheese
instead. This was great!

Review: This bread is soooo good! I made it for the first time when I
had company over. It was so good my friends not only asked for the
recipe they took some home with them too!

Source:
   "Originally published as Arizona Corn Bread in Country Extra January 2002"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/arizona-cornbread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 165 Calories; 7g Fat (37.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
20mg Cholesterol; 142mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0706