Irish Soda Bread l

Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:30:17 -0800
v119.n049.13
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Irish Soda 1

Recipe By     :Martin Earl
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   15                oz  all-purpose flour -- (about 3 C), we used King Arthur
   1 3/4            tsp  kosher salt
   1 1/8            tsp  baking soda -- don't use more!
   2 1/4              C  lowfat buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 450F (232C) with a heavy, lidded cast-iron pot
in it. Allow it to preheat fully before preparing the dough.

When the oven is hot, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking
soda. Whisk everything together very well, especially making sure
there are no lumps of soda left, which will cause brown, weird
tasting spots in your bread.

Be sure to whisk them well

Add the buttermilk and fold the ingredients together with a flexible
spatula, like our Hi-Temp silicone spatula. Fold together just until
no visible pockets of dry flour remain.

If you want a chewier bread, fold it together for another 20 seconds
to develop extra gluten.

Remove the Dutch oven from the oven, place on a heat-safe trivet on
the countertop. Remove the lid.

Scrape the dough from the mixing bowl onto a sheet of parchment paper
in the hot cast-iron pot and form it into a boule-shaped mound.

With a sharp knife, cut a large X across the top of the whole ball.
This will allow the bread to expand into quarters, speeding the
cooking of the center.

Replace the lid on the pot and place the pot in the oven.

Set a timer, like the Extra Big & Loud, for 40 minutes. Bake the bread.

When the timer goes off, remove the lid from the pot and insert a
ChefAlarmâ??s probe into the center of the loaf. Set the high alarm
for 205F (96C) and continue to bake.

When the alarm sounds, remove the bread from the oven and tip it
carefully out to allow it to cool.

Slice and enjoy with butter and preserves or, yes, even corned beef
and colcannon.

Just remember to use your ChefAlarm to apply the 200-205F (93-96C)
doneness for quickbreads and you'll have warm, lovely smelling bread
for any meal!

Question: How big of a Dutch oven should be used for this recipe of soda bread?
Response: Something with a bottom at least 8" across.

Question: The recipe yours is based on calls for a final temp of 210.
I am curious did you find a better result with the lower temperature?
Response: I found it to be perfect at 205F. The range for quickbreads
rally can go from 200-210, based on initial hydration and desired
finish. This hydration seems best to me at 205F.

Source:
   "Based on the recipe from SeriousEats.com"
S(Internet address):
   https://blog.thermoworks.com/bread/irish-soda-bread-quick-bread-finish-temps/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1766 Calories; 9g Fat (4.6%
calories from fat); 62g Protein; 350g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary
Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 5281mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 21 1/2
Grain(Starch); 2 Non-Fat Milk.

NOTES : 2019 - 1213