Pimento Cheese Biscuits

Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:31:30 -0800
v120.n003.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Biscuits, Pimento Cheese

Recipe By     :The Southern Lady Cooks
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  granulated sugar -- optional
      1/2      teaspoon  garlic powder
                  pinch  cayenne -- optional
   6        tablespoons  butter
   4                 oz  pimientos -- drained
   1                cup  shredded sharp cheddar cheese
   1 1/4           cups  buttermilk
                         Smoky paprika -- optional

These little biscuits just can't be beat when it comes to a delicious
Southern recipe your family and friends will love.  Make these for
any gathering, for a tailgating party, holidays or just anytime you
want something so good you won't be able to stop eating them.  They
would make great appetizers if you use a small biscuit cutter or you
could make these as drop biscuits, too. These biscuits are so soft
and fluffy, they just melt in your mouth.  They go well with any
meal.  We eat them reheated in the microwave and slathered with
butter as a snack.  I see no reason why you could not freeze these
biscuits if you want.

Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Total: 30 min

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar,
garlic powder and cayenne in a large bowl.  Cut in the butter until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I have my butter very cold and grate
it with a hand grater into the flour.  Add pimentos and cheese to
flour mixture and stir in buttermilk with a spoon (you can use more
or less buttermilk just until you have a ball of dough you can pick
up).  Put dough out onto a floured surface and cut into
biscuits.  Place biscuits on a baking sheet close together and brush
tops with either melted butter or buttermilk.  I use
buttermilk.  Sprinkle on smoky paprika.  Bake in preheated 425F oven
for 12 to 15 minutes until brown on top.

Note:  I use a small square biscuit cutter.  You may get less
biscuits with a larger cutter.

Question: about how large a slab do you pat the dough to be?
Response: I make the dough about 3/4 to an 1" thick and get as many
biscuits as I can, then if there is extra, I pat it out again and
start over. I do this several times.

S(Internet address):
   https://thesouthernladycooks.com/pimento-cheese-biscuits/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 120 Calories; 6g Fat (46.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 251mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0615