Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread

Mon, 20 Jan 2020 17:27:01 -0800
v120.n004.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Swirled Pumpkin Yeast

Recipe By     :Shirley Runkle
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   3               cups  whole wheat flour
   2               cups  quick-cooking oats
      2/3           cup  packed brown sugar
   2           packages  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz each)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  pumpkin pie spice
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1           teaspoon  sugar
   4 1/2              C  bread flour -- (to 5C)
   1 1/2           cups  warm water -- (120 to 130F)
   1                cup  canned pumpkin
      1/3           cup  canola oil
      1/3           cup  unsweetened applesauce
   2              large  eggs
      1/2           cup  raisins
                         FILLING:
      1/2           cup  packed brown sugar
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon
      1/4           cup  butter -- softened light recommended

I call this my "hostess gift" pumpkin bread, but it's fantastic for
any occasion at all. Swirls of cinnamon sugar make every slice irresistible.

Prep: 45 min. + rising
Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes: 2 loaves (16 slices each)

In a large bowl, mix first seven ingredients and 2 cups all-purpose
flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, pumpkin, oil and applesauce
to 120-130F. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
Add eggs; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in raisins and enough
remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled,
about 1 hour.

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly
floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x9"
rectangle. Spread each with 2 tablespoons butter to within 1/2" of
edges and sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar mixture. Roll up
jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal.
Place in greased 9x5" loaf pans, seam side down. Cover with kitchen
towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F.

Bake until golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before
removing from pans to wire racks to cool.

Cal 202, Fat 5g, Carb 36g, Sod 130mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 5g

Review: Wonderful. I made the two loaves (adding a bit more cinnamon
as other reviewers suggested). When cooled, I put a thin coating of
vanilla icing and waited until that set. I then sliced each loaf into
slices, places pieces of waxed paper between slices and stored in
freezer baggies. I was able to pull as many slices as I needed while
frozen, let thaw and yummy fresh bread at all times. Oh, I did use
the golden raisins as that is what we prefer. I want to try it with
craisins next time I make it. (which will be soon).

Review: Excellent. I omitted the raisins though.

Review: Everyone loved this recipe! I cut the softened butter
together with the brown sugar and cinnamon. I omitted the raisins in
one loaf and added them to the filling on the second. Both turned out great.

Review: No doubt this is an A-1 recipe! I did, however, have the same
problem as one other poster; my crust was chewier than I anticipated.
Next time I will definitely reduce the amount the butter. There is no
need to use a 1/4 cup. That is entirely too much butter to slather on
two loaves of bread. I'd reduce to 2 tablespoons. I may add a bit
more cinnamon to the brown sugar/cinnamon mix. I did have to cover
mine with foil during the last 20 minutes. And I used the leftover
melted butter to put a very light coating on the tops after it came
out of the oven. Excellent recipe though. Definitely a keeper! Thanks
for posting!!

Review: I read the review suggestions before I started. I whipped up
the ingredients and kneaded without adding the raisens. I didn't
allow to raise, instead I divided and rolled dough out like for
cinnamon rolls and topped with butter, pumpkin pie spice(not
cinnamon), brown sugar, raisens and chopped pecans. Roll up like for
cinnamon rolls. Pinch and roll under ends.Put into greased loaf pans.
Cover with damp towel and Allow to raise for 1 hour. I put a pan of
hot water in the oven, under the loaf pans to help speed up the
raising process. Cook at 350 degrees for 55 minutes, brushing top of
loaves with melted butter after 30 minutes. I also used cream cheese
frosting diluted with milk to spread on top of loaves. This turned
out to be a delicious keeper and very substantial tasting with the
pumpkin, whole wheat, raisens and nuts! enjoy.

Review: Wow, this bread was really delicious. I made it and I was
expecting a couple of peices for breakfast the next day, but my
family got to it before I had a chance and left me at least one peice
aha but they all loved it. My mom said it was best fresh, but I
drizzled honey over it and heated it up the next day and it was still
moist and delicious! I recommend this recipe

Review: I loved this bread! Exactly what I had in mind! I will add
cinnamon and maybe nutmeg to the pumpkin pie spice because that just
wasn't "spicy" enough for me. Also I think adding walnuts to the
cinnamon sugar swirl. This would also make some decadent seasonal
french toast. Super easy and very rewarding recipe; thanks!!

Question: I really love this bread, the taste and texture is great.
The only thing i didn't like was the crust. It was really thick and
chewy, I found myself leaving the crusts behind and just eating the
middle. Any tips for a thinner, less chewy crust??

Review: Made the recipe exactly as stated but baked in three 8 1/2"
loaf pans for approximately 40 min. It was the perfect size to share.
I was able to give two and keep one. I will definitely make more
during the holidays.

Review: Just finished making these loaves today.. Easy to make and my
house smelled Devine..it's a keeper!!! A+++

Review: To everyone wondering about using real pumpkin, I live where
we cannot buy canned pumpkin . . . I've only ever used pumpkin that
I've cooked and mashed myself. I drain excess liquid out and just
measure out the exact amount called for in the recipe. Freezing
cooked pumpkin in 1 cup amounts works too, but drain excess watery
liquid before using. Hope this helps

Review: Oh my house smells divine after making these loaves today.
After reading the reviews I also added pecans to my bread as well as
the raisins. For the 3 cups whole wheat flour I used two graham flour
and 1 cup rye flour. I wondered how it would turn out. Turned out
beautifully. My bread is more the same color as a typical pumpkin
bread would be- not sure if it is because of the darker flours I used
or what. I couldnt wait to cut off that first slice and enjoy- very
good still warm. To the reviewer who wanted to use a whole pumpkin-
just prepare the pumpkin as you would squash bake it and scoop out
the pulp then measure your 1 cup of fresh pumpkin. If using a can of
pumpkin and do not know what to do with the left over- try using it
in the awesome pumpkin and black bean chili recipe- its really good.

Review: This was a lot of work and made a lot of dough. I forgot to
add in the raisins so sprinkled them on top of the cinnamon/sugar
mixture.Next time I will also add some toasted pecans.I ONLY BAKED
THIS FOR 45 MINUTES. It had a wonderful crust. Another 10 minutes and
it would have been burned on the bottom.The second loaf will be given
as a hostess gift.cinnamon/sugar mixture. Next time I will also add
some toasted pecans. I wasn't sure at first if this would proof but
put it in my top oven while the bottom oven was preheating and it was
fine.I only baked it for 45 minutes. I will bake it for a little less
next time. I did have a nice crust. I will save the second loaf for a
hostess gift too.

Review: Great recipe and wonderful bread. The only change I made was
to replace the raisins with toasted, chopped pecans. Fabulous toasted!!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swirled-pumpkin-yeast-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 208 Calories; 5g Fat (21.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
17mg Cholesterol; 125mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0120