Beer Bread

Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:41:06 -0700
v120.n011.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Bread, Beer

Recipe By     :Kevin Lynch
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   2 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   2        tablespoons  butter -- melted
   12                oz  beer -- lukewarm
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   1 1/2            cup  whole wheat flour
   2          teaspoons  salt

Last week I got the chance to talk to some of the Fathers of
Grimbergen Abbey from Belgium who were in here in Toronto for the
launch of Grimbergen Dubbel in Canada. I learned a bit about their
over 800 years of history including about the destruction of their
Abbey no less than three times. Of course I also got the chance to
sample some of their double fermented abbey beer and I particularly
liked the undertones of caramel in it.

After an evening of talking about beer, I realized that it had been a
while since I last did a recipe with beer in it and by the time that
I got home I knew that I would have to try a Grimbergen Dubbel beer bread.

(This bread would also work well with an Irish beer for St Patrick's
day coming later this month.)

Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
Total: 1:05

Mix the yeast, sugar and butter into the beer and let it sit until
the yeast has dissolved, about 10 minutes.

Mix the flours and salt.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they form a dough.

Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and
elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes, adding more floor if it is too sticky
to work with.

Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let it rise until
it has doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours.

Punch the dough down, dump onto a floured surface, lightly knead for
a minute and let rest for a few minutes.

Form the dough into the shape that you want it, place it on a sheet
of parchment paper, cover it and let it rise until doubled in size,
about 1 to 2 hours. When forming the dough into the shape that you
want it, fold the a bit of the sides under the dough in order to
stretch the surface a little.

Transfer the loaf on the parchment paper onto a baking sheet, slash
the top of the dough a few times and dust with flour.

Place in a preheated 450F/230C oven and bake until the crust is
golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Let cool at least 15 minutes.

Question: I often make challah with my children but have been wishing
to make other varieties of bread. I do like flavorful bread and I
have some extra beers in the fridge. What kind of beer did you use? A
dark beer, amber, etc? Does it matter? I guess I'll have to try it to
figure it our.
Response: I used a Gribergen Dubbel in this loaf but any beer will
work. Each different beer will add different flavours and aromas.

Review: This bread was a huge hit. It will definitely be part of my
regular bread-making repertoire.

Review: I made this with Guinness the other day for a St. Pats movie
day party along with a guinness cheddar dip recipe I found. The bread
was fantastic. Incredibly moist and yet hearty. Big winner!

Review: I made the bread again today and replaced 1/2 cup of the
white flour with spelt flour. It turned out great.

Review: This came out awesome when I made it with Guiness.

Review: yum! I used 2 c white whole wheat, 1.5 c unbleached AP + 1
Tbl wheat gluten (baking at 6000' can go wonky without extra gluten
and I was out of bread flour), super yummy with a Fat Tire and Alton
Brown's Welch Rabbit and steamed broccoli for a TV watching party.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.closetcooking.com/beer-bread/
Yield:
   "1 loaf"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 139 Calories; 2g Fat (14.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
4mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0314