Oatmeal Soda Bread

Sue <sue.interport@rcn.com>
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:39:07 -0400 (EDT)
v120.n027.1
Speaking of soda bread...

Oatmeal Soda Bread
Recipe adapted from Irish Country Cooking by Darina Allen, Viking Penguin, 1996
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/oatmeal-soda-bread-1950748

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups oatmeal*
2 cups buttermilk**
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Flour for dusting

Directions Pulse the oatmeal in a food processor until very fine. In a
bowl mix in the buttermilk and cover. Let sit for 12 hours or
overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with
butter.

Sift the other ingredients together and stir into the
oatmeal/buttermilk mixture, adding more flour if it is too wet. Knead
the dough on a lightly floured work surface a couple of times to form
a soft ball like shape. Press the dough into a round about 2 inches
thick. Place the bread in the prepared pan. Make a crisscross cut into
the bread.*** Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on
a rack. It's especially good warm with butter and jam.

Notes: This often needs some adjustment when mixing with regard to
hydration of the dough, but it is my favorite. It's moist with a great
oatmeal flavor, without added fat.

*If using quick-cooking oatmeal I only use 2 c since it packs more densely.

**If the buttermilk has been around and it's the end of the carton it
might be too thick. I add a bit of milk.

***My loaf comes out a tad gummy (which I like) and tended to be
undercooked in the middle. To prevent that I make sure the loaf is
not higher in the middle and also create a 1" hole in the center
which fills in and cooks thoroughly as it bakes.