Bing Bread

Sat, 08 Aug 2020 17:15:15 -0700
v120.n030.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Bread, Bing

Recipe By     :Beverly Kim
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Posted
                 Potatoes

                         Sour Cream Butter
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter -- room temperature (1 stick)
   2        tablespoons  sour cream
      3/4      teaspoon  kosher salt
                         Bread and Assembly
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 1/4-oz. envelope)
   2        tablespoons  sugar -- plus
   1 1/2           tsp.  sugar
   2 1/2      teaspoons  kosher salt -- divided
   4               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for surface
   1              large  russet potato -- unpeeled, cut into 1/2" pieces
   3        tablespoons  vegetable oil -- divided
   1              pound  bacon -- cut crosswise into thirds
   2        tablespoons  toasted sesame oil -- divided
   8             ounces  white cheddar cheese -- grated (about 2C)
   1 1/2           cups  thinly sliced scallions -- (from about 1/2 bunch)
   1         tablespoon  soy sauce -- or low sodium soy sauce
   2        tablespoons  sesame seeds -- divided

At Parachute in Chicago, this bacon-studded, potato-filled, cheesy
sesame bread is served in 6" cast-iron pans; we adapted it to work in a 10".

Makes two 10" or six 6" round loaves.

Sour Cream Butter: Whisk butter, sour cream, and salt in a medium
bowl until smooth; set aside.

DO AHEAD: Butter can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.

Combine yeast, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. salt, and 2 cups very warm (but
not hot) water in a large bowl, whisking to dissolve. Let sit until
foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 4 cups flour and mix with a wooden spoon
until dough comes together in a shaggy ball with only a few dry spots
of flour remaining. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm
place until doubled in size, 50 to 70 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F. Toss potato with 1 Tbsp. vegetable
oil and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt on a rimmed baking sheet and roast,
tossing once, until potato is golden brown and soft, 15 to 20
minutes; let cool.

While potato is roasting, chill bacon in freezer until firm but not
frozen, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse
until coarsely chopped. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium
heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.

Once dough has doubled in size, gently punch down and transfer to a
generously floured surface. Knead, adding more flour a tablespoonful
at a time if dough is very sticky, until smooth (dough should be very
soft, pliable, and slightly sticky).

Divide dough in half. Flour surface generously. Cover 1 piece of
dough with plastic so that it doesn't dry out. Roll out the other
piece of dough, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking, to a
13" round about 1/4" thick. Brush excess flour from dough, then brush
with 1 Tbsp. sesame oil. Sprinkle with half of potato, bacon, cheese,
and scallions.

Roll up dough like a jelly roll. Pinch together seam and each end to
seal, then gently squeeze and press from the center toward the ends
to elongate the roll slightly and even out thickness.

Starting from one end, coil roll (like a rope) to form a large
spiral. Gently flatten spiral with your hand to form a 9" circle,
sprinkling with lightly with more flour to prevent sticking if
needed. Cover and repeat with remaining dough, potato, bacon, cheese,
scallions, and 1 Tbsp. sesame oil.

Whisk soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp. sugar, and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl
until sugar is dissolved.

Heat a 10" cast-iron skillet over medium. Add 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil,
swirling to coat. Carefully place 1 spiral of dough in hot skillet
(keep remaining spiral covered) and brush with soy glaze. Cover pan
with a lid and cook until underside of bread is golden brown, 5 to 10
minutes (rotate skillet on burner as needed for even browning).
Uncover and flip bread over. Brush top with soy glaze and sprinkle
with 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds.

Transfer skillet to oven and cook, uncovered, until underside is
golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes (tent with foil if top gets too dark
before bottom is golden brown). Transfer to a wire rack and let cool
15 minutes. Repeat with remaining round of dough, soy glaze, 1 Tbsp.
sesame oil, and 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds.

Cut warm bread into wedges and serve with sour cream butter.

Cal 230, Fat 12g, Carb 21g, Sod 520mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 10g

Review: Delicious! I was nervous that I wouldn't get this right, but
it came out great. Just hand chopped the bacon rather than the food
processor and that was fine. A great holdover until our next meal at Parachute!

Review: This bread was amazing. Had a loaf with dinner for 4 people,
and loved by all. I'll make it again.

Review: This is good. I halved the recipe because I am alone in
quarantine. I am not sad, it's just the facts. Time to make another.

Review: This recipe did not work for me ... at least the bread
didn't, and I'm not one to shy away from making bread at home. The
dough did double in size, but it was so wet I could not knead it. I
probably added at least one cup of additional flour, trying to get it
to come together, but it just didn't happen. I live in Northern
Arizona, so I'm slightly at a higher altitude with zero percent
humidity. I'm just wondering what I did wrong ... two cups of water
vs only four cups of flour just doesn't seem right to me. I've been
to Parachute, love their bing bread, and want to make this recipe
work. Thoughts?

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bing-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 719 Calories; 48g Fat (60.2%
calories from fat); 26g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
88mg Cholesterol; 1586mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2
1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 7 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0808