Milk Bread 1

Sat, 08 Aug 2020 18:23:34 -0700
v120.n030.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bread, Milk 1

Recipe By     :Alessandra Gordon
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   4 1/2           tsp.  dry yeast -- (2 1/4-oz. envelopes)
   2               cups  warm water -- divided
   5 1/3           cups  bread flour -- (720 g)
   3              Tbsp.  sugar -- (34 g)
   14                 g  kosher salt -- Note
   2 1/2          Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- room temp, plus more for bowl (34g)

Soft as clouds, white as snow, Japanese milk bread is the tender
everyday loaf we want to bake right now. The precision required is an
excellent excuse to buy a scale, but if you still want to measure out
by volume, make sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cups and
level off all ingredients - accuracy matters here. Using pain de mie
pans creates a taller loaf with a crispier crust, but regular loaf
pans will work as well. We streamlined the traditional spiraled dough
shaping technique for ease.

Makes two 9x5" loaves

Note: (1 Tbsp. plus 2 1/2 tsp. Diamond Crystal salt or 1 Tbsp. Morton)

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 400F. Whisk yeast and 1/2
cup warm water (about 90F) in a small bowl. Let sit until foamy,
about 5 minutes.

Mix flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with
the dough hook on lowest speed. With the motor running, gradually add
yeast mixture and 1 1/2 cups warm water (90F). Increase speed to the
next level and mix until dough firms up into a mass around the hook
(it should still be sticking to the bottom of the bowl), 8-10
minutes. Increase speed to the next level; add 34g butter in 3
additions, mixing 30 seconds after each. Mix until dough tightens and
is smooth and elastic, 12-14 minutes.

Slap dough onto a surface with force (reserve bowl), then immediately
pull some of the dough up and fold it over itself. Repeat
slapping-and-folding process 2 more times, then form dough into a
ball. Butter reserved bowl and place dough inside. Cover tightly with
plastic wrap and drape a kitchen towel over to keep warm. Let rise
near oven (a warm, draft-free spot is ideal) until nearly doubled in
size (dough should spring back slowly when you poke it), 30-45
minutes (time will vary depending on the warmth of your kitchen, but
be careful not to overproof). Punch down dough, divide in half, and
shape each into a ball.

Liberally butter two 9x5x5" pain de mie pans and lids or 9x5" loaf
pans. Using your hands, flatten 1 ball of dough into a 9x6"
rectangle. Starting with a long end, roll up like a jelly roll into a
tube. Place in a prepared pan, nudging to fit snugly. Repeat with
remaining dough.

Cover pans with plastic wrap; return to warm spot. Let sit until
dough is 1/2" from top of pan (don't let it rise higher or dough will
deflate when you slide on the lids), 30-45 minutes. Remove plastic
wrap; place lids on pans if using pain de mie. Bake bread until deep
golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool
before slicing.

Review: DON'T start pre-heating the oven in the beginning as the
recipe says; there's around two hours of making the dough and resting
before you begin to cook it. My oven is awesome and heats up fast, I
give it about 30 minutes to fully heat the oven. The bread is good,
white bread. I used milk in place of all the water.

Review: Easy, great flavour, and authentic, without the added step of
tangzhong. I make this by hand and the kneading isn't difficult at
all. Makes great, fast sandwich bread with a chewy toothsome crust.
Also great as hamburger buns. Easy to make, you won't even miss the milk.

Review: I've been looking for a white sandwich bread which is soft
yet "tight" enough to hold together as a sandwich. This is
fabulous!!! I followed the directions exactly, including kneading 8
min then adding butter and kneading another 12 minutes. Dough was
rather sticky and soft when I slapped it on the counter, so I sprayed
the counter with cooking spray to keep it from sticking. while
forming the dough I lightly floured the counter. I highly recommend
this recipe.

Review: I made it following this recipe and it was very good! Right
this minute I am trying it with milk instead of water and a stick of
butter. Wish me luck!

Review: This worked really well for me! Followed all the instructions
and the bread came out so soft. It also makes really great toast. I
used dough conditioner in this. I can't wait to make again!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/japanese-milk-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 86 Calories; 1g Fat (12.3%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 147mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0808