Chocolate-Cinnamon Babkallah

Sun, 16 Aug 2020 22:20:21 -0700
v120.n031.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Babkallah, Chocolate-Cinnamon

Recipe By     :Claire Saffitz
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Chocolate/Cocoa                 Posted

                         Dough
      1/2           cup  whole milk
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 1/4-oz. envelope)
   4              large  egg yolks
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter -- melted, cooled, (1 stick)
      1/3           cup  granulated sugar
   1           teaspoon  kosher salt
   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more
                         Filling and Assembly
   6             ounces  bittersweet chocolate -- finely chopped
      1/3           cup  packed light brown sugar
   1 1/2      teaspoons  ground cinnamon
                         All-purpose flour -- for surface
      1/4           cup  unsalted butter -- room temperature  (1/2 stick)
   1              large  egg yolk
                         Granulated sugar -- for sprinkling

Introducing our test kitchen's hybrid baby: It's braided like a
challah for maximum babka-y chocolate swirl in every bite.

Dough: Heat milk in a small saucepan until warm. Transfer to a large
bowl and whisk in yeast; let sit until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.

Whisk in egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/2 cup butter. Add sugar, salt, and
3 cups flour; mix until a shaggy dough forms. Knead dough on a
lightly floured surface until supple, smooth, and no longer shiny, 5
to 10 minutes.

Transfer to a large buttered bowl. Cover and let sit in a warm place
until doubled in size, 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours.

filling and assembly: Mix chocolate, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three
portions. Shape each into a 12"-long rope. Roll out each rope to a
12x6" rectangle about 1/8" thick. Brush with butter and top with
chocolate mixture, pressing gently. Roll up to form a log; pinch seam to seal.

Place logs, seam side down, side by side on a parchment-lined baking
sheet. Pinch logs together at one end; braid, then pinch ends
together and tuck under. Cover loosely and let sit in a warm place
until 1 1/2 times larger, 1 to 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Beat egg yolk with 1 Tbsp. water in a small
bowl. Brush dough with egg wash; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake
until top is golden brown and "Babkallah" sounds hollow when bottom
is tapped, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Cal 360, Fat 20g, Carb 42g, Sod 170mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 6g

Review: I was worried when the dough looked too sticky but it just
needed to be kneaded a little longer on a floury surface! it came out
so beautifully and the dough reminded me of Sohla's cinnamon buns.
super tasty and even though you need to plan it in advance because of
all the proofing it is totally worth it.

Review: I was worried when my dough initially didn't rise too much,
but it turned out great! It was easy and looks impressive. My whole
family is enjoying it.

Review: it's May 2020 during quarantine and i made this! wow so
amazing!!!! i had to add some water and oil to make it more soft and
usable, and my dough didn't rise too much, but it ended up working
and tasting perfectly! i absolutely loved this recipe and i'll
definitely make it again!

Review: It's May 2020 here in NYC and we're in our 2nd month of the
Coronavirus quarantine and I just made my first Babkallah and it will
not be my last. So tasty and easy to make.

Review: OMG! This was so good! And relatively easy. I'd never made
challah before and this has opened a door to a whole new world for me.

Review: Delicious bread/pastry combination! Didn't have whole milk
but chocolate whole milk so used that instead. Cooked it for 40 min
and prob could have stopped at 35 and just let it firm up on the
cooling rack. Bread and filling stayed together through the bake and
slicing. Overall fun recipe with great results!

Review: This was a really fun recipe to make. Felt super accomplished!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chocolate-cinnamon-babkallah-dough

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 369 Calories; 22g Fat (51.4%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
121mg Cholesterol; 172mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0801