Master Bread Dough and Simple Sandwich Loaf

Mon, 02 Nov 2020 14:39:15 -0800
v120.n044.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Dough, Master Bread

Recipe By     :Bryan Ford
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Posted

   600                g  bread flour -- divided
   25                 g  whole wheat flour
      1/2          tsp.  active dry yeast -- divided
   20                 g  sugar
   15                 g  kosher salt
   15                 g  extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for bowl

The secret behind many great breads is something called a preferment,
a portion of the dough that ferments separately from (and for more
time than) the rest of the ingredients. A preferment increases the
strength of your dough (improving its final crumb structure) and
contributes to aroma and flavor. In baker Bryan Ford's cookbook New
World Sourdough, the preferment is a sourdough starter; in this
recipe, however, his preferment is the lower-maintenance poolish - a
mixture of flour, water, and active dry yeast that grows overnight.
Mix the poolish with more flour, water, and yeast as well as a touch
of olive oil, sugar, and salt, and you get a resilient, flavorful
dough that can be used in a nearly infinite number of ways. Ford
encourages all bakers, especially beginners, to use a scale, and this
is an instance when you really do need one as the volume of 100 grams
of poolish will vary based on how much it grows. The master dough can
also be scaled up or down as desired. Use this dough to make Bryan's
Simple Sandwich Loaf. (Different recipe)

To make the poolish, mix 100 g bread flour, 25 g whole wheat flour,
1/4 tsp. active dry yeast, and 125 g warm water in a medium bowl.
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest at room temperature 12 hours.
(The poolish will double or triple in size, so make sure your bowl is
large enough to handle the growth. The poolish should have large and
small bubbles all across the surface when it is ready.)

To make the master dough, transfer 100 g poolish to the bowl of a
stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and add 300 g water. Mix on
low speed to break up (it won't be fully combined). Add 20 g sugar,
15 g kosher salt, 15 g extra-virgin olive oil, remaining 500 g bread
flour, and remaining 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast. Mix on low speed
until incorporated, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and mix
until dough comes together and is smooth, about 2 minutes. Increase
speed to high and mix until dough no longer sticks to the sides of
the bowl, about 3 minutes. (If you don't have a stand mixer, you can
still make this dough using a little elbow grease. Mix with a sturdy
wooden spoon in a large bowl, then knead, starting in bowl and
turning out onto a lightly floured surface once dough has come
together, until smooth, 6 to 8 minutes.)

Coat a clean medium bowl with more extra-virgin olive oil, place
dough in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a kitchen towel and let
sit at room temperature 1 hour (dough will be slightly puffy).

Cover with plastic wrap or a silicone lid and chill until dough
doubles or triples in size (you should see a few wide bubbles on the
surface), 8 to 10 hours.

Once your dough has fully risen, proceed with making Bryan's recipes,
like his Simple Sandwich Loaf.

Review: I have yet to read any recipe worth its salt use anything but
the metric system when it comes to baking bread. It requires
preciseness and you can't get it with cups and teaspoons. Get yourself a scale.

Review: yes, you can hand-knead. It will longer at first, but once
you find your technique it works nicely and quickly. I never use
kitchen machines for baking bread, much more of a sensory experience
to hand-knead.

Question: Is there a way to make this without a stand mixer & dough
hook? Would very much like to make breads but don't have access to a
stand mixer.

Question: what can I sub for whole wheat flour?

Review: My dough did not rise and bubble like the recipe did, but it
could be I was using whole grain bread flour with whole wheat flour,
as that was the only bread flour I had on hand. The crumb still
turned out beautifully soft, if not a little dense, but still makes
great sandwich bread. I may try substituting AP flour for the bread
flour and see what kind of results I get. For now, I have two lovely
loaves sliced up and frozen to partake in for the rest of the week.

Review: The poolish turned out perfectly and I just mixed the dough.
Going for Bryan Ford's basic sandwich bread recipe. What I want to
know is, can I feed and keep the poolish alive similar to a sourdough
starter? If so, a basic ratio of 50-50 bread flour to water? Seems
sad to have to discard the remaining amount after using 100g of it in
the recipe.

Review: Read the simple sandwich loaf recipe to find the baking temp
& time! I just made the preferment (poolish). Will bake tomorrow!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/master-bread-dough
Yield:
   "720 grams"
                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Simple Sandwich Loaf

Recipe By     :Bryan Ford
Categories    :

                         Extra-virgin olive oil -- for pan
                         Bread flour -- for surface
                         Master Bread Dough
                         Flaky sea salt

If you're looking for a simple recipe for a tender sandwich bread -
the kind of loaf that'd be great turned into a grilled cheese or
crunchy croutons - this is it. This recipe from Bryan Ford is his
Master Bread Dough, rolled into a tight log and baked until golden
brown. We recommend slicing any bread you're not going to eat and
then freezing it in a resealable plastic bag or airtight container
for instant toast. Even if you're going to eat it later in the week,
freezing it right away preserves the taste and texture.

Makes: one 8 1/2x4 1/2" or 9x5" loaf

To make this recipe, start by preparing one batch of the Master Bread Dough.

Liberally coat an 8 1/2x4 1/2" or 9x5" loaf pan with extra-virgin
olive oil. Lightly flour work surface with bread flour and turn out
Master Bread Dough onto surface. Roll dough over onto itself,
applying pressure with your fingers to seal closed and tighten log.
Use your fingers to roll ends of log against surface to close. (Click
here to see Bryan's motions.) Place dough in pan and brush with more
extra-virgin olive oil. Cover with a kitchen towel and let dough rise
until about 1/2" above edge of pan, about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle top liberally with flaky sea salt. Bake
until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let
cook in pan 5 minutes. Turn out bread onto rack and let cool
completely before slicing.

Do ahead: Bread can be baked 3 days ahead. Store in a paper bag or a
bread box at room temperature, or slice and freeze up to 1 month.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pullman-sandwich-loaf

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 137 Calories; 1.4g Fat (9.4%
calories from fat); 4.2g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 0.3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 314mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1102