Chinese Style Meat Buns

Fri, 04 Dec 2020 16:26:30 -0800
v120.n050.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Buns, Chinese Style Meat

Recipe By     : Joanna Cismaru
Categories    : Asian                           Bread
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Main Dish                       Posted

                         Dough
      1/2           cup  water
   2 1/2            tsp  dry yeast
      1/4           cup  sugar
   2 1/4           cups  all-purpose flour
   1              large  egg -- beaten
   3               tbsp  oil
      1/2           tsp  salt
                         Filling
   1 1/2             lb  pork loin
   2                tsp  garlic and ginger paste
   1               tbsp  vegetable oil
   2               tbsp  honey
   2               tbsp  hoisin sauce
   2               tbsp  soy sauce -- low sodium
   1               tbsp  red wine
      1/2           tsp  pepper -- freshly ground
      1/4           tsp  salt
      1/2           tsp  five spice powder
   1                tsp  sesame oil
   1               tbsp  vegetable oil
   2             sprigs  green onion -- finely chopped
                         Egg wash
   1                     egg -- beaten

If you've ever been to a Chinese bakery you have seen this type of
meat buns among many other delicious goodies. These buns are also
called pork buns, or Char Siu Bao which basically is a barbecued pork
filled bun. They can be either steamed or baked as I chose to make
mine. I have never tried the steamed ones, only baked, but I'm sure
they are just as good. Char Siu refers to the pork filling and bao
means bun. There's my Chinese lesson of the day.

Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr

In a small bowl, mix the warm water, sugar and yeast and let it sit
until it starts foaming, for about 15 minutes. In a large bowl add
the flour and to it add the egg, oil, salt and the yeast mixture.

Mix it all together using your hands, if you find the dough too
sticky just add more flour. Knead the dough on a floured surface for
a few more minutes, until it becomes elastic. Place the dough in a
lightly oiled bowl and let it rise until doubled in size, in a warm spot.

Cut up the pork loin in small pieces and set aside. In a medium sized
bowl, add the garlic and ginger paste, vegetable oil, honey, Hoisin
sauce, soy sauce, wine, pepper, salt, five spice powder, and sesame
oil. Whisk everything all together and add the pork to it. Let the
pork marinate for about 1 hour, or until the dough is almost ready.

Heat a skillet, over medium heat and add a tablespoon of vegetable
oil to it. When the oil is hot add the pork mixture including the
marinade to it and cook until the pork is cooked thoroughly, for
about 5 minutes. Before removing it from heat, add the green onions
to it and mix well.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.

Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a disc, so that it's
about 4 or 5" in diameter. Place heaping tablespoon of the meat
mixture in the middle of it.

Seal the bun by gathering up the edges of the disc.

Place the sealed side down bun, on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat
with remaining balls and meat mixture.

Brush the buns with egg wash and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or
until the buns are nice and golden brown.

Cal 437, Fat 15g, Carb 28g, Sod 381mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 46g

Question: Can I make them the day before, put them to the fridge and
bake them the next day?
Response: Absolutely!

Question: Beautiful dough! Delicious and so easy to woek with. I
filled it with tuna, corned beef and hotdog. My family always eat
them in one sitting. If I'm going to double the recipe should I use
the same amount of yeast? Thanks for sharing your passion and talent
with us Jo and warm regards from the Philippines!
Response: I would increase the yeast slightly!

Question: Can you freeze these once they've been cooked? I think they
would be great as a simple breakfast to just pop in the microwave to heat up.
Respone: Yes absolutely!

Review: I posted a question last weekend about the raspberry buns.
Well, the filling didnt turn out, so needless to say they were too
soggy. So, today i thought i would try these buns. I didnt have pork,
or onions. (and ran out off eggs) So i used chicken breasts, finely
chopped. marinated them in a Chinese bbq sauce. WOW! this dough is
unbelievable. It was such a soft, smooth, easy to work with dough. I
will absolutely make these again!

Review: I'm a Filipino and we love to eat this, this is called siopao
in my language and we usually eat them steamed but I'd like to try
baking them this time.

Question: Wow I just made them and they taste amazing just like the
ones you can buy! My only problem was that the bottoms burned a lot
for all of them so I had to scrape that off, but other than that they
were just perfect. Any suggestions for how to prevent the bottoms from burning?
Respone: I'm glad you liked them. I think the bottom burning might be
because of your oven, not really sure...maybe try putting them on a
higher rack, that would help.

Question: how do you measure your flour, do you use deep and sweep or
lightly spooned the flour to the cup? I'd like to know coz I wanted
to try this recipe. thanks for sharing.
Response: I usually scoop the measuring cup into the flour then level
it off with a knife.

Review: Char siu bao are my favourite. I could eat them all day.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/chinese-style-meat-buns/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 238 Calories; 9g Fat (35.1%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
53mg Cholesterol; 377mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1204