Blueberry-Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake

Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:38:24 -0700
v121.n011.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                    Cake, Blueberry-Lemon Ricotta Pound

Recipe By     : Stacy Fraser
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cake                            Posted

      3/4           cup  sugar -- granulated
   5        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- at room temp
   3              large  eggs -- at room temp, (see Tip)
      3/4           cup  ricotta cheese -- part-skim
   2        tablespoons  lemon zest
   2        tablespoons  lemon juice -- divided, plus
   1           teaspoon  lemon juice
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract
   1 1/2   cupswhole-wheat  flour -- white
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   2               cups  fresh blueberries
   2        tablespoons  confectioners' sugar -- packed

This healthy pound cake recipe isn't just delicious--it also only
requires one bowl to make. For the best cake texture, be sure to beat
the sugar and butter together long enough in Step 2 to look
creamy--the time it takes to get there varies according to the type
of electric mixer you have. Serve with brunch or alongside a cup of
coffee in the afternoon.

Total: 4 hrs
Serving Size: One 1" Thick Slice

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-by-5" loaf pan with cooking spray and
line the bottom with parchment paper.

Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on
medium-high speed until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until
fully incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and beat in
ricotta, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and vanilla until just
combined. Sprinkle flour on top, then evenly sprinkle baking powder
and salt over the flour. With the mixer on low speed, beat until
almost combined. Add blueberries and gently fold into the batter.
Transfer to the prepared pan.

Bake the cake until starting to brown around the edges and a tester
inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the
pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to
loosen the cake, then invert it onto the rack. Carefully turn it
right-side up. Let cool completely.

Clean the bowl, add confectioners' sugar and whisk in the remaining 1
teaspoon lemon juice until smooth. Brush the glaze on the cake.

Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and store at room
temperature for up to 1 day; glaze shortly before serving.
Room-temperature eggs make cakes fluffier. Here's a quick
trick--place them (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm water for
about 5 minutes.

Cal 303, Fat 11g, Carb 45g, Sod 319mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 8g

Review: yuuum! absolutely delicious! I can't stop eating it! Pros:
easy to make Cons: none

Review: This recipe came out great! Very easy to make and it was
delicious! I followed the recipe with the exception of using the eggs
at room temperature. That is a trick I will have to try next time.

Review: Used a cake pan & baked for only 40 minutes instead of what
this called for and still turned out perfect. Only complaint is that
when I tried to take it out of the pan it fell apart. I recommend
leaving it in the pan/dish to cool before cutting/moving. Turned out
really tasty though. I did follow the tip to bring eggs to room
temperature and the cake is very fluffy and pleasant so I think it worked.

Review: Great recipe, the only thing I changed was I replaced the
ricotta cheese with non-fat plain Greek yogurt, came out perfect,
everyone loved it, will make again.

Review: Easy and Delicious is reminds me of something I would pay 5 a
slice for at Star Bucks. It is rich with Lemon flavor moist from the
Ricotta Cheese and lots a Blueberries in every bite. It is one of the
best loaf pan cakes I have ever made! I didn't even bother making the
glaze. It's so good it doesn't need it! BTW I did not use wheat flour
I used white. I don't know how healthy it is but it sure does taste great!

Review: Great taste and texture! This cake turned out great and is
very tasty! It's like something you would get in a coffee shop. Pros:
easy to make one bowl cleanup no fancy ingredients

Review: Very good! I did one thing that might help with those who had
the wet blue cake problem lol. I always dredge my berries in flour
before adding them to my batter. Especially if they are really juicy.
I do the same with frozen berries too. en fold them in gently. e
little bit of extra flour takes care of the extra moisture from the
berries. I also make a similar cake with sour cream instead of ricotta cheese.

Review: This was a huge hit. Based on comments here (thank you!) I
made a few modifications. I used 1 1/2 cups of blueberries and coated
them with flour first. I used 1T of lemon zest instead of 2. I used
the flour I already had in the house (white unbleached organic).
Everything had the perfect amount of sweet and tart and the
blueberries were perfect.

Review: This is a fabulously quick recipe and utterly delicious cake!
Also lovely with orange zest/juice in place of the lemon and 1cup
dark chocolate chips instead of the blueberries. Without glaze this
comes to about 205kcal/slice (12 slices per loaf).

Review:  I used white flour full fat ricotta & added 1 cup of
shredded zucchini. It was very good but a bit dense. Next time I
would double the glaze/add extra lemon.

Review: I would give the recipe and instructions a 3.5 out 5. First I
put aluminum foil loosely over the top to stop the browning. I was
concerned it was on the verge of being over cooked on top. I agree
with the other comments that the 2 cups of blueberries was to much
and made the bread to wet and hard to set. I would cut back to 1.75
cups of blueberries next time and if still to wet drop down to 1.5
cups of blueberries. I rinsed my blueberries dried with a paper towel
and coated with flour prior to adding them to the mix. I used regular
white baking flour and greased my non-stick bread pan with Crisco.
Did not use any parchment paper and had no difficulty getting the
bread out of the pan after it cooled. I loved that the bread was
mildly sweet. I used a bit extra fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and
still would have liked more lemon flavor. However because I made it
late at night and found myself without any powdered sugar to make the
icing my plan was to make a lemon sugar syrup to put on the bread in
the morning; but I could not wait to taste it. If I had put a lemon
topping of the syrup or powdered sugar it may have given it the
stronger lemon flavor.

Review: I thought the cake was delicious i did not have the blue cake
issue at all...I am going to try this recipe as muffins next time. Thank you.

Review: So delicious! Moist and plenty of blueberries. I went
slightly less on the lemon zest but wish that I hadn't. Very good
regardless! Thanks for a real winner!

Review: First time I made it as the recipe said and was awesome!
Second time I only had half amount of blueberries available so I
added a banana with the blueberries. Awesome! Super moist and very tasty!

Review: Easy to make and yummy. I think 2 c of blueberries is just
right, less would seem skimpy. (I think you need to make sure you
measure your pan to be sure it's a 9 x 5 loaf size to avoid baking
issues.) I should have added a few more minutes to the baking time
only because I used frozen blueberries. I used no-fat ricotta and
reduced the sugar to just 1/2 c and it was definitely sweet enough to
me. I think people accustomed to sweets would like the recommended
3/4 c, but any more than that would be cloying. I also used
whole-wheat pastry flour. This is a recipe I'll make to serve with
tea when I have company.

Review: I made this recipe exactly as written, except my ricotta
cheese was whole milk, and it was delicious!! I loved the flavor and
it was perfectly moist - my husband and 3 kids all liked it - which
is a rare thing in our house!

Review: Agree with others' suggestions to coat blueberries in flour,
and reduce the amount of sugar (used 1/4 cup and did not taste any
sweetness, will try 1/3 cup next time). Two cups of blueberries may
seem like a lot but those are the best part! Buy a good quality
ricotta - avoid one containing gums (used as stabilizers) as this
made the loaf a bit rubbery in texture. Otherwise can't wait to try
the recipe again.

Review: I find it hard to believe that no one thought there were too
many blueberries in this recipe. I will be putting only one cup in
next time - if I even make it again.

Review: This turned out great! I even forgot the vanilla but it was
still rich and delicious. I had no problem with the blueberries just
gently fold them in or dust them in flour. I started to do this step
but I didn't (feeling lazy) and it turned out great. Nice definition
between cake and berries. Very easy cake.

Review: I made this tonight after work. It was easy and turned out
perfectly. I used fresh blueberries and used regular white flour and
whole milk ricotta. It s a gorgeous rustic cake. I used a big enough
sheet of parchment paper that I could use it to pick the cake up out
of the pan after the 20 min cooking time. I cook and bake a LOT and
am definitely adding this to my recipe box????

Review: Have made this multiple times over the past few months - the
first following the recipe, then making various tweaks - and it never
disappoints. The best version included: full-fat ricotta (as fresh as
you can get it); zest of an entire lemon (3tbls+); juice from entire
lemon (3tbls+); regular flour (haven't found white whole wheat); and
using a kitchenaid rather than a hand blender. Twist: try a slice on
the griddle if you're having a big Sunday breakfast/brunch. It's fantastic.

Source:
   "EatingWell Magazine, May/June 2016"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251419/blueberry-lemon-ricotta-pound-cake/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 321 Calories; 12g Fat (34.4%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
111mg Cholesterol; 305mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0314