Old Fashioned Sweet Bread

Thu, 01 Apr 2021 15:21:18 -0700
v121.n013.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Old Fashioned Sweet

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Quick Bread

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
   1                cup  buttermilk
   6        tablespoons  butter -- melted
   2          teaspoons  vanilla extract
      3/4           cup  granulated sugar -- white
   2                     eggs

This kind of sweet bread is a recipe your grandparents may have made
years ago.  It is a light sweet bread made with butter, sugar and
flour almost like cake.  You can frost it, sprinkle with powdered
sugar or just eat it with butter.  This old fashioned bread is
wonderful right out of the oven for breakfast with coffee or as a
snack anytime.  Children love the sweetness.  You could add raisins,
nuts or even fruit to this sweet bread recipe but we love it like the
recipe says below.  I think you are going to really like this bread
recipe. Make this recipe for a unique gift for a friend.

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 50 mins
Total: 1 hr

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.

Add buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, sugar and eggs. Stir well with spoon.

Pour into a 9 x 5" bread pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in
preheated 350F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until center tests done.

Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

Question: this is my first time making your sweet bread and as I'm
mixing it with my hand there are lumps in it. Should I be making sure
all the lumps or out or are the lumps and important part of the
recipe I think it happened when I poured in the melted butter and it
stuck to the flour and made lumps.
Response: I would try to get at least most of the lumps out if you can.

Question: Can regular milk be used in pace of buttermilk? I live in
mexico and there is no buttermilk here and I don't like the homemade
buttermilk. Thanks
Response: Yes, I think you could use regular milk in the recipe or
you can make a buttermilk substitute: One tablespoon vinegar added to
one cup milk.

Review: This makes a good snacking treat as is, and I'm looking
forward to making it the next time with raisins and pecan chips. A
very easy and versatile recipe. Thank you!

S(Internet address):
   https://thesouthernladycooks.com/how-to-make-old-fashioned-sweet-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 132 Calories; 5g Fat (31.7%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 34mg Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1219