Bread Bowls

Sun, 11 Apr 2021 19:55:35 -0700
v121.n017.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Bread Bowls

Recipe By     : Rachel Heidenreich
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Main Dish                       Posted

   2        tablespoons  active dry yeast
   3               cups  water -- warm, (110 to 115F)
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   2          teaspoons  salt
   6 1/2           cups  bread flour -- (to 7 1/2 C)
                         Optional: Cornmeal and sesame seeds

Impress all your friends by serving cream soups or dips with this
bread bowl recipes.

Prep: 35 min. + rising
Bake: 20 min.+ cooling

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl,
combine sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium
speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
(dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until
doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 500F. Punch dough down. Divide and shape into 6
balls. Place 3 in. apart on 2 baking sheets that have been generously
sprinkled with cornmeal or greased. Cover with a kitchen towel; let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes. Spray loaves
with water; if desired, generously sprinkle with sesame seeds. Using
a sharp knife, score surface with shallow cuts in an "X" pattern.
Bake 2 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 425F. Bake until golden brown
and internal temperature reaches 190-200F. Remove from pans to wire
racks to cool completely.

Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom portion of
loaf, leaving a 1/2" shell. Discard removed bread or save for another
use, such as croutons.

Test Kitchen Tips: To approximate that crackling crust you find on
fancy artisanal breads, get steamy. A quick spritz of water into the
oven or a light mist sprayed directly on the loaf right before baking
should do the trick.
Scoring the exterior of bread creates weak points that help prevent
it from bursting and directs expansion to shape the loaf. And, hey,
it looks really pretty to boot!

Cal 238, Fat 1g, Carb 57g, Sod 396mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 10g

Review: Instead of the 6 bread bowls, I made 3 and used the rest in a
bread pan for a spare loaf! Perfect texture taste and density! Thank you!!!

Review: These were amazing. They were super easy to make and my
family devoured them with soup. Even the baby loved eating bits of
soup soaked bread. I added a tsp of garlic powder and a tsp of dried
rosemary. My husband would not stop raving about it.

Review: abulous recipe! Worked great. Due to large amount of yeast it
is ready to cook very quickly. It turned out beautifully and everyone
loved it. The trick is in how you shape them. Yeast recipes seldom
address shopping the way sourdough recipes do. Watch some sourdough
boule recipes on YouTube. When you shape them you create a skin with
a lot of surface tension which helps them keep their shape and
prevent them from going flat. They can also help you judge how much
flour to put in.

Review: These are good, but I would reverse the baking method as this
seemed backwards to me. I would first bake them at 375 for 30 minutes
to allow the bowls to expand to their full size, and then harden the
crusts at 500 F as the last step. That's just me.

Review: My husband made these and we used them for TOH's Chessy
broccoli soup in a bread bowl recipe. He is not a very experienced
baker, but wants to learn to make bread. This recipe, unlike others,
turned out good on the first try! The shape of some were not perfect
for bread bowls, but that's not the fault of the recipe. We did not
have bread flour so substituted all purpose and it worked just fine.

Review: This is a really easy bread to make when it was done I
hollowed it out and put a dip in it second time I filled it with a
cheese mixture and it was delicious both times

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-bread-bowls/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 564 Calories; 3g Fat (4.3%
calories from fat); 19g Protein; 113g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 719mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0411