Mojito Scones

Sat, 24 Apr 2021 15:26:37 -0700
v121.n019.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Scones, Mojito

Recipe By     : King Arthur Flour Co
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   298                g  All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached, (2 1/2C or 10 1/2 oz)
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   71                 g  light brown sugar -- (1/3C or 2 1/2 oz)
   2        tablespoons  lime zest -- grated, the rind of 1 or 2 limes
   1         tablespoon  fresh mint -- chopped
   113                g  cold unsalted butter -- (1/2C/8T or 4 oz)
      1/2      teaspoon  lime oil -- optional, for enhanced flavor
   113                g  cold milk -- (to 170g or 1/2C/3/4C or 4 to 6 oz)
                         coarse white sparkling sugar -- for topping

With an upfront kick of lime and a subtle hint of mint, these scones
are sure to delight the palates of anyone familiar with the pleasure
of an ice-cold Mojito on a hot summer's day. Attention, lime lovers:
for enhanced lime flavor, be sure to use the lime oil.

PREP: 15 mins. to 20 mins.
BAKE: 16 mins. to 20 mins.
TOTAL: 46 mins. to 55 mins.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a standard scone pan, or
lightly grease a baking sheet; or line with parchment.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, lime juice powder or
grated rind, and chopped fresh mint.

Work in the butter until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.

Add the lime oil.

Starting with 1/2 cup, add enough milk to make the dough cohesive. It
should be evenly moist, but not so sticky that you can't work with it.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape it into a
rough ball, and roll or pat it into an 8" round.

Using a bench knife or sharp knife, cut the round into 8 wedges, and
transfer each to the prepared pan.

Brush the scones with milk or cream, and sprinkle with coarse
sparkling white sugar, if desired.

Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes; this will help the
scones rise higher.

Bake the scones until they begin to brown, 18 to 24 minutes.

Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack.

Serve warm, or at room temperature. Wrap any cooled leftovers
airtight, and store at room temperature for several days; freeze for
longer storage.

TIPS: To add more lime flavor to the scones, substitute or supplement
the 2 tablespoons grated lime rind with 2 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
powder (more if you're substituting, and less if you're supplementing
the rind).

Review: I love these scones - make them all the time! I've never used
the lime oil, but it doesn't seem super necessary to me. Both the
amount of lime and mint are more things to eyeball than anything that
needs to be exact. I've used as much as the zest of two limes and two
or three tablespoons of mint depending on the day, and they're good
any which way. Definitely take the time to brush on milk and freeze
them, as it will make a huge difference in the rise (and use fresh
baking powder!). I typically glaze them with a simple vanilla glaze
but they're also good on their own. Easy and delicious!

Review: Very subtle flavor (like most scones I've experienced,
really) but nice. I don't have lime oil or powdered lime juice
concentrate or whatnot but I did add the juice that I squeezed from
the lime I zested and I think it made a difference. Topped with
demerara sugar (Sugar in the Raw) which is my readily-available
coarse sugar. 5 of 5, will make again!

Review: I did not use the lime oil. I don't think it is essential,
but it might be nice if you had it (I had lemon and orange). Rather
than guessing or risking overhandling the dough, I used 4 oz of milk
and a egg beaten together (most scone recipes I use call for an egg).
I didn't need to make any adjustments. After baking, I made a
powdered sugar and lime juice drizzle for the tops. The flavor was
mild and more lime than mojito. The variety of mint you use could
have a deinite impact on that. I would give my results a 4. They were
good, but not fabulous. I think the 3 stars is more appropriate for a
recipe where the flavor seems to need tweakng more often than not and
there is a 50% swing in the amount off milk called for in a recipe
where you want to handle the dough as little as possible. Just
because of the way the recipe is written, I think it will be more
difficult for everyone to get consistent results. I would still
recommend it, but with with some caution.

Review: I made these scones for a baby shower afternoon tea. They
were a great hit. Everyone said that they loved them! The only
complaint that I have is that they didn't rise as much as I thought
they should. I've used KAF basic scone recipe for years (adding
various fruit) and they rise beautifully. Next time I make this
recipe I'll be using the basic scone recipe adding mint and lime.
BTY: I didn't use lime oil. Glad I didn't, I think it would have been
overpowering.

Review: These took a blue ribbon today in the Wisconsin State Fair -
the judge loved them! My boyfriend and best friend said they may have
been the best things they have ever eaten. I was skeptical - for
naught!! I did not have lime oil this time and my presentation was a
smoother scone . Wonderful texture and very easy.

Review: I used lime zest - 2 smallish limes worth to make the 2
tablespoons and lime oil. I could hardly taste the mint and would add
another tablespoon next time. My daughter who doesn't like scones in
general really liked this one. The texture was a bit cake like, but
the scones were very tasty.

Review: What a brilliant idea! I love mojitos and I love scones so I
was very excited to see this recipe. I followed it exactly, using the
optional lime oil, and they were wonderful! They had a lovely texture
and the fresh taste of lime and mint. I will definitely make these
again and again. Next time, though, I may serve them as an afternoon
snack with a cold glass of limeade rather than for breakfast with coffee.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/mojito-scones-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 278 Calories; 12g Fat (38.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
31mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0
Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0422