Sage and Honey Skillet Cornbread

Fri, 04 Jun 2021 15:33:54 -0700
v121.n024.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

          Cornbread, Sage and Honey Skillet

Recipe By     : Greg Atkinson
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Posted

   1                cup  cornmeal -- preferably whole grain, medium grind
   1                cup  all-purpose flour -- unbleached
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  salt
   2          teaspoons  fresh sage -- chopped,  plus
   12             whole  fresh sage leaves
   1                cup  whole milk
      1/2           cup  honey
   1              large  egg
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter -- (1 stick)

This bread is turned out of the skillet to reveal a lovely array of
whole sage leaves.

Preheat oven to 400F. Heat heavy 10" diameter ovenproof skillet
(preferably cast-iron) in oven 10 minutes.

Whisk first 4 ingredients and 2 teaspoons chopped sage in large bowl
to blend. Whisk milk, honey, and egg in medium bowl to blend.

Remove skillet from oven; add 1/2 cup butter. Swirl until butter is
melted. Pour all except 2 tablespoons butter into egg mixture. Add
whole sage leaves to butter in skillet; toss to coat. Arrange leaves
over bottom of skillet, spacing apart.

Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir until just combined (do not
overmix; batter will be wet and runny). Pour batter over sage leaves
in skillet. Bake until browned around edges and tester inserted into
center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool in skillet 10 minutes.
Invert onto platter. If necessary, reposition sage leaves atop cornbread.

Cal 221, Fat 9g, Carb  32g, Sod 172mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: I thought it this made a moist, marvelous cornbread. I liked
the texture, and enjoyed the fragrance the butter and especially the
honey gave it. It was a pretty decadent cornbread, all the moreso
because I served it with good maple syrup. (I like my cornbread more
sweet than savory). I might reduce the butter to 1/3 cup next time,
or swapping some of the butter for a healthier fat, because it was
pretty oily (deliciously so, but still). I used a medium-grind
polenta for the cornmeal (its what I had), a mix of 1% and
half-&-half. At 17 min I checked on it and thought it was browning a
bit quickly, so I turned the oven down to 375* for the last 5 min of cooking.

Review: Best cornbread ever. I've made it 20+ times and always get
raves. I follow recipe exactly but watch cooking time, as it's
usually done early.

Review: I cheated the recipe in so many ways, but it was still
delicious. No fresh sage, but I crumbled 2 t. of sage I had dried
myself this summer. I did not use any for the top. Read the reviews,
reduced the honey to 1/8 c. No whole milk, used 2%. No skillet, used
a heavy 10" cake pan and didn't preheat it. Yet, success! Never ever
touch a box of cornbread mix again; make this. I will aspire to get a
little closer to the recipe next time.

Review: Really delicious. The kids and I both loved it. As reader
suggested, I used 1/2 the amount of butter and honey. I also used
dried/flakey sage instead of fresh (1tbsp). I think that was a little
too much, so I'll used 2 tsp next time. Since ppl were saying it was
too fluffy, I also used 1/2 the amount of baking powder, I think it
came out a bit flat that way, so I will use the full amount next
time. I also only used a medium egg (we have chickens and you get
what you get), but if u want it dense, that is definitely the way to
go. I used less butter, but I put about a tsp to a tsp and a half of
rice bran oil in the skillet and coated it thoroughly before I put it
in the oven. I also added the butter to the dry ingredients first b/c
I was afraid it would scramble the egg. I used full cream milk and
real butter - for those saying it lacked flavor, well fat = flavor. I
can understand how ppl said the flour/cornmeal ratio was high. I
think it had a slightly floury taste to it, but I think I will try
using cake flour next to resolve this - maybe 3/4 c cake flour and 1
1/4 c cornmeal. I'm also thinking about putting a few pieces of
pancetta in the bottom of the skillet instead of the whole sage leaves...

Review: wow! thank you epicurious, the most amazing cornbread i have
ever had and i am from the south!

Review: This is an easy and delicious accompaniment for a stew,
chowder, or southern-style meal. People are always impressed with the
flavour of the fresh sage and how pretty it looks. Use a cast iron
pan for best results.

Review: This is an easy and delicious accompaniment for a stew,
chowder, or southern-style meal. People are always impressed with the
flavour of the fresh sage and how pretty it looks. Use a cast iron
pan for best results.

Review: I think it's great, and super easy to make. I fin the whole
sage leaves are more optional than not, however.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sage-and-honey-skillet-cornbread-240376
Yield:
   "10 to 12"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 254 Calories; 11g Fat (38.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
49mg Cholesterol; 381mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0126