Pull-Apart Sour Cream and Chives Rolls

Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:43:26 -0700
v121.n032.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Rolls, Pull-Apart Sour Cream and Chives

Recipe By     :Claire Saffitz
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

      1/2           cup  milk -- whole, plus
   2              Tbsp.  whole milk
   5 1/3           cups  bread flour -- divided, plus mor, (667 g)
   1 1/2           tsp.  active dry yeast
   1                cup  sour cream -- room temp
      1/4           cup  sugar -- (50 g)
   4               tsp.  Diamond Crystal -- Note 1:
   3              large  eggs
   8              Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- cut into pieces, divided,
room temp, (1 stick)
      1/2           cup  chives -- finely chopped
                         sea salt -- Flaky
                         black pepper -- Freshly ground

These melt-in-your-mouth dinner rolls, from Claire Saffitz's cookbook
Dessert Person, are even more tender and pillowy than the classic
Parker House rolls that inspired this recipe. That's thanks to the
addition of tangzhong, a white roux made from flour and milk cooked
to a stiff paste, often used to make Japanese milk bread. The cooked
starches in the tangzhong help the dough retain moisture and keeps
the rolls super soft and light. The slight onion flavor of chives and
tang of sour cream give them oomph. They're as equally excellent at
mopping up gravy as they are at holding the contents of a leftover
turkey sandwich. "If food could give you a hug, these rolls
definitely would," says Claire.

Note 1: or 2 1/4 tsp. Morton kosher salt

Whisk 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup flour (42 g), and 1/2 cup water in a
small saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking
constantly, until a very stiff paste forms (it should resemble mashed
potatoes), about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; scrape tangzhong into
the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.

Gently warm remaining 2 Tbsp. milk in same saucepan over low heat
until lukewarm. Remove from heat, add yeast, and whisk until
dissolved. Let sit until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add sour cream, sugar, kosher salt, 2 eggs, 4 Tbsp. butter, and
remaining 5 cups bread flour (625 g) to tangzhong. Scrape in yeast
mixture and mix on low speed until a shaggy dough forms. Increase
speed to medium and mix, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally and
adding more flour by the tablespoonful if sticky, until dough is
smooth and supple, 8-10 minutes.

Scrape dough onto a work surface and form into a smooth ball; dust
lightly with flour. Place inside a clean large bowl and cover with
plastic wrap or a silicone lid. Let sit in a warm, draft-free spot
until doubled in size, 1-1½ hours.

Meanwhile, coat a 13x9" pan, preferably metal, with 2 Tbsp. butter
(it will be a generous layer, which is what you want). Uncover dough
and punch down lightly to expel some of the gas.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch into a square.

Roll out, dusting with more flour as needed to prevent sticking, to a
12" square and sprinkle chives evenly over dough.

Starting at one end, loosely roll up dough. Flatten with the heel of
your hands into a long rectangle. Roll out dough again, dusting with
more flour as needed, into a 16x6" rectangle.

Using a wheel cutter or bench scraper, cut dough into twenty-four
2"-squarish pieces (an 8x3 grid).

Working with 1 piece of dough, gather all the corners and pinch
together to form a teardrop shape. Place seam side down on work
surface. Cup your hand over dough and drag across surface, moving
your hand in a rapid circular motion, to form dough into a tight
ball. Do not add flour, as you want friction between the dough and
the surface. Place ball in prepared pan and repeat with remaining
pieces of dough, spacing to make a 6x4 grid. Cover pan with plastic
wrap and let sit in a warm, draft-free spot until rolls are nearly
doubled in size, 45-60 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375F..

Using a fork, whisk remaining egg in a small bowl until no streaks
remain. Uncover pan and gently brush tops of rolls with egg, then
sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake rolls until tops are deep
golden brown, 25-30 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and immediately brush tops with remaining 2
Tbsp. butter. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Slide a knife or an offset
spatula around sides of pan to loosen rolls, then slide a metal
spatula underneath to loosen the bottom. Slide entire grid of rolls
out and onto a wire rack. Serve warm or let cool.

Do ahead: Rolls can be formed and arranged in pan 1 day ahead; cover
and chill. Let rise at room temperature before baking (this can take
up to 3 hours). Rolls can be baked 3 days ahead. Let cool; store
airtight at room temperature.

Review: oh damn, just had my first one out of the pan and I think,
after years and years of lackluster yeasted baking results, this is a
winner. Everything the people say here is true! Next stop: figuring
out how to incorporate discard from my Pandemic Sourdough Baby.

Review: I have made these with chives & w/out & let me tell you, they
are scrumptious! I am not a seasoned baker but these turned out
delightful both times. So moist in the middle with just the right
amount of brown on the outside. They will hold up for a leftover
sandwich type experience (made them w/chives at Thanksgiving), or
just slather them with butter/honey/jam and enjoy!

Review: Great recipe! Very easy for a beginner like me. I used
all-purpose flour instead of bread flour, regular fine sea salt
instead of the salt in the recipe, and I skipped the second rise
(accidentally) but they turned out perfect and yummy! I totally
recommend this recipe because it is simple and delicious. My family
loved the rolls, so I will be making these again next week. I imagine
you can use green onions too instead of chives if you can't find them.

Review: I love these rolls and have made them several times but
simplify every recipe i make! I make the milk/flour mixture and
combine it with all the wet ingredients, salt and sugar then I add 2
cups of the flour and on top of that sprinkle the yeast and combine
it all. Then finish with the rest of the flour. They have turned out
perfect each time.

Review: This is the second time making dinner rolls and love this
recipe--despite thinking I messed up at several steps. For anyone
wondering, you can sub yogurt. I used plain greek yogurt, and they
turned out amazing. Also had some trouble with my yeast not
dissolving and getting clumpy, and the remnants of the tangzhong
conspired to make things especially unattractive. The final result
was perfectly acceptable despite my concerns.

Review: These are delicious and the recipe is very well written. I
made for Christmas Dinner and they are perfect for leftover mini-sandwiches!

Review: I was a bit intimidated by the steps involved because I have
never made bread. I followed the instructions exactly, except I added
1 tsp. of sugar to activate the yeast (as others had mentioned). I
used my Kitchen Aid mixer to knead the dough for 8 mins. It was still
a bit sticky, so I hand kneaded for about 2 mins and added a couple
tsps of flour along the way. I let the dough alone for 90 mins and it
rose a little, not double (oven was too cold, next time I will heat
oven, then turn off). When I let the rolls proof a second time, they
barely rose at all. Nevertheless, with all my little mistakes, the
rolls came out perfect (although a little over done on the bottom). I
would make a again and learn from my mistakes! Yummy!

Review: I didn't have my stand mixer with me, so I had to make these
by hand, but they turned out INCREDIBLE - the star of the meal! My
dough did not double in size during the first rise, I could only get
it to rise a little by putting it on top of a warm oven. I shaped the
rolls then refrigerated them the night before. On the day of, I left
them out at room temp for about 4 hours and got a great rise! Will make again!

Review: These were tender and simple to make. I used instant yeast,
and skipped the blooming stage, simply warming the milk. I proved the
dough in the cold oven with the oven light on because our kitchen
runs cold in the winter. I used chopped green onion tops instead of
chives because the grocery was out.

Review: These rolls are life. To those with issues with yeast:
proofing is just to make sure your yeast aren't dead. If they don't
foam like crazy when proofing it will still be fine, there is sugar
in the dough. As long as your milk temperature is 95-100, you will be
fine. It is such a small volume of milk that I just put it in a bowl
on a turned off burner until it is warm. The tangzhong definitely
takes more than 2 minutes. Dough is quite sticky, but it is meant to
be that way so just try to not over-handle it. Could even be better
with additional mix-ins as the chive and sour cream flavor is quite mild.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pull-apart-sour-cream-and-chive-rolls

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 187 Calories; 7g Fat (34.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 42mg Cholesterol; 374mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0906