Italian Flatbread Piadine

Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:48:54 -0700
v121.n035.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Flatbread, Italian  Piadine

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Food Processor
                 Italian                         Low Fat
                 Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- (10 ozs)
      3/4      teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  table salt
   3        tablespoons  vegetable oil
      3/4           cup  water

For chewy-tender flatbreads with an open crumb, we added baking
powder to the dough, as well as ample amounts of fat and water that
diluted the gluten strands, keeping the dough soft and pliable
without making it too rich. Rolling the dough into 9" rounds made for
substantial breads that fit perfectly in the cast-iron pan, which we
preheated thoroughly so that they would brown quickly without drying out.

We use pantry-friendly vegetable oil because the flatbreads it makes
are similar in flavor and texture to those made with traditional
lard. If you'd prefer to use lard, increase the amount to 1/4 cup to
account for its lower density. Do not substitute butter or olive oil;
their flavors are obtrusive here. A nonstick skillet can be used in
place of cast iron; increase the heat to medium-high and preheat the
empty skillet with 1/2 teaspoon of oil until shimmering; wipe out the
oil before proceeding with the recipe.

Resting:30 minutes
Total: 40 minutes

Process flour, baking powder, and salt in food processor until
combined, about 5 seconds. Add oil and process until no visible bits
of fat remain, about 10 seconds. With processor running, slowly add
water; process until most of dough forms soft, slightly tacky ball
that clears sides of workbowl, 30 to 60 seconds (there may be small
bits of loose dough).

Transfer dough to counter and gently knead until smooth, about 15
seconds. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and shape each into ball.
Working with 1 dough ball at a time, place ball seam side down on
clean counter and, using your cupped hand, drag in small circles
until ball is taut and smooth. Cover dough balls loosely with plastic
wrap. Let rest for 30 minutes.

Pat 1 dough ball into 5" disk on lightly floured counter (keep
remaining dough balls cover). Roll disk into 9" round, flouring
counter as needed to prevent sticking. Repeat with remaining dough balls.

Heat 12" cast-iron skillet over medium heat until drop of water
dripped onto surface sizzles immediately, about 3 minutes. Prick 1
dough round all over with fork, then carefully place in skillet. Cook
until underside is spotty brown, 1 to 2 minutes, using fork to pop
any large bubbles that form. Flip round and cook until second side is
spotty brown, 1 to 2 minutes (flatbread should still be pliable).
Transfer piadina to plate, gently fold in half, and cover with clean
dish towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough rounds, stacking
piadine and re-covering with towel as they finish. Serve warm.
(Piadine can be stored in zipper-lock bag for up to 2 day. Reheat in
cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 20 to 30 seconds per
side, until warmed through.)

Cal 321, Fat 11g, Carb 47g, Sod 275mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 6g

Review: The water to flour ratio was way too high when I made it.
Looking at a few other recipes for piadine supports this observation.
I suggest disregarding the suggested water amount and, instead,
adding water just until the dough holds together.

Review: I was asked to test this recipe, which required lard and that
was the first time I've used it. So I was surprised that the
published recipe didn't require lard or include any of the filling
recipes that were also provided for testing. Both recipe changes seem odd.

Question: Hi there, I didn't come across any recipes that used
semolina. What kind of alternative flours did you have in mind? Both
bacon fat and ghee sound tasty but they will change the bread's
flavor. I'd measure the fat in its solid state and try 1/4 cup (as if
you were subbing lard). We didn't try using a pizza stone but if you
do, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Question: Curious if I can throw in a few tablespoons of whole-wheat
flour for some of the AP. Your old friend Christopher Kimball does
this with a yogurt flatbread recipe, which I love but is frankly too
sticky to reliably roll out.
Response: I don't see why you couldn't add a bit of whole wheat
flour. Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11898-italian-flatbreads-piadine

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 318 Calories; 11g Fat (31.0%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0805