Walnut Date Banana Muffins

Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:39:34 -0700
v121.n036.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Muffins, Walnut Date Banana

Recipe By     : Chris Scheuer
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Nuts
                 Posted

   187 1/2             g  all-purpose flour -- (1 1/2C)
   100                g  granulated sugar -- (1/2C)
   7 3/8              g  baking powder -- (1/2t)
   4 7/8              g  baking soda -- (1t)
   2 1/2              g  cinnamon -- (1/2t)
   2 1/2              g  salt -- (1/2t)
   3             medium  bananas -- ripe, (1 1/4- 1 1/2 cups)
   1              large  egg
   88 3/4            ml  butter -- melted, divided, (6T)
   4 7/8             ml  vanilla extract -- (1t)
   87 3/4             g  walnuts -- chopped, (3/4C)
   73 1/2             g  dates -- chopped, (1/2C)
   14 3/4            ml  maple syrup -- or honey, (1T)

With a candied walnut-date topping and tops that rise high and
rounded, these one-bowl banana muffins are easy and always a hit!

Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 35 mins

Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray - set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
in a large bowl and stir well with a fork to combine.

Remove 1 tablespoon of butter to a medium-size bowl or cup and set aside.

Make a deep well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add mashed
bananas, egg and the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter to the well
and stir with a fork in the center of the bowl, breaking up the egg
yolk and mixing the wet ingredients.

Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir wet and dry ingredients
together until the flour mixture is incorporated. Don't overmix.

Divide batter into prepared pan. Muffin cups should be about 2/3 full.

Add walnuts, dates, maple syrup to the bowl with the reserved butter
and stir together until walnuts and dates are well coated. Sprinkle
topping mixture over the batter in the muffin pans, dividing evenly.

Bake muffins for 5 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350F. and
continue baking for another 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden
and muffin tops spring back when touched lightly on the top.

Cool muffins for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a cooling rack.

Cal 215, Fat 10g, Carb 27g, Sod 244mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: I enjoy cooking but when it comes to baking sweet desserts, I
am a novice baker. My go-to-strategy is relying on tried out recipes.
I have been itching to make Banana-Walnut-Date muffins for a while
and prepared bananas to ripe for this endeavor.
I followed this recipe exactly, except I added 1/4 cup of wheat germ
to it. The results were perfect moist muffins, well balanced
sweetness and tasty. The candied fruit and nut on the top was a good touch.
Thanks for this wonderful recipe. Now I feel confident to try some
more recipe on your blog.
I also want to try reducing sugar and butter just for my diet  the
recipe is perfect as it is for normal diet.

Review: Just decided to try these out instead of the traditional
banana Muffins. Wonderful!! Couldn't be happier! As a Canadian I am
proud to use maple syrup in the recipe, and although I live and work
as an opera singer in Vienna, Austria, I still have the taste from
home. Thank-you.

Review: I had three bananas that were desperate! Just wanted to let
you know that Sugar and Cinnamon were not mentioned in the step by
step instructions. We figured out when to add them. Kids can't wait
to try them! Thank you!
Reply: Thanks so much, I really appreciate you letting me know. It's
fixed now! Hope you enjoyed the muffins.

Question: Can one use this recipe for 6 Texas size muffins instead of
12 regular size?|
Reply: Yes, I think that should work fine. You probably do have to
bake them a little longer though.

Review: Oh yes! I understand about recipe obsession - I just can't
quit until I get it right. And it looks to me like you got it more
than right. These are lovely muffins Chris - you did it again and
gave us a well tested, beautiful and delicious recipe. Can't wait to
give these a try.

S(Internet address):
   https://thecafesucrefarine.com/walnut-date-banana-muffins/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 239 Calories; 11g Fat (38.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
33mg Cholesterol; 323mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 1229