Boston Brown Bread

Sat, 02 Oct 2021 21:24:11 -0700
v121.n038.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Boston Brown

Recipe By     : Mr. Food Test Kitchen
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Grains
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

                         cans -- 2, empty and clean, (15-oz each)
      1/2           cup  rye flour
      1/2           cup  whole wheat flour
      1/4           cup  cornmeal
   2        tablespoons  brown sugar
      3/4      teaspoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   1                cup  buttermilk
      1/2           cup  molasses
   1         tablespoon  vegetable oil
      1/2           cup  raisins

This colonial-style brown bread is actually cooked inside of a can
and it's a New England favorite! Our Boston Brown Bread is moist and
flavorful on its own, but it's even better when you slather on some
butter or cream cheese right before serving!

Cook: 35 min

Coat the inside of cans with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine rye and whole wheat flours, cornmeal, brown
sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Add buttermilk, molasses,
and oil; whisk until smooth. Stir in raisins. Divide batter evenly
between cans.

Place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of each can, pressing
firmly around edges to secure. Place cans in a soup pot, foil
wrapped-side up and fill with the pot with hot water halfway up sides of cans.

Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low
and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center
of cans comes out clean. Carefully remove cans from pot to wire rack,
remove foil, and let cool. Remove bread by turning cans upside down.
Slice and enjoy.

Cal 265, Fat 5g, Carb 55g, Sod 219mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 4g

Review: This is such a clever and unique recipe! It has such a neat
shape to it, which also makes it easy to do uniform slices. I imagine
this could even be a great idea to do on a camping stove while
camping, when you may not have an oven readily available. My only
concern is that some cans may have a stay fresh plastic liner inside.
I'd just make sure to check the label for those plastic symbols
first, and make sure it is just metal. I plan to try this soon!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.mrfood.com/Bread/Boston-Brown-Bread-MF

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 242 Calories; 3g Fat (11.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0424