Homemade Rye Bread

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sun, 07 Nov 2021 21:41:19 -0800
v121.n040.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Homemade Rye

Recipe By     : Emeril Lagasse
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   1                cup  rye flour -- (120g)
   2 1/2           cups  bread flour -- (300g)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1         tablespoon  caraway seeds
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 envelope/1/4-oz)
   1                cup  milk
   1         tablespoon  molasses -- or sugar
   3        tablespoons  butter -- (42g), cut in pieces
   1                     egg
                         vegetable oil -- for bowl and pan
   1              large  egg -- beaten, for glaze

Prep: 30 min
Inactive: 2 hr
Cook: 45 min
Total: 3 hr 15 min

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, caraway seeds, and
yeast. Set aside.

Combine the milk, molasses or sugar, and butter in a 2C
microwave-safe measure. Microwave at 50% power for 60 sec. Stir
mixture and microwave at 50% for 30 sec longer. Check that butter is
completely melted, the molasses (or sugar) is fully incorporated, and
the temperature is around 115F. Heat longer or allow to cool as
needed. Lightly beat the egg and stir into the milk mixture.

Transfer the milk mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a
dough hook. With the mixer running at low speed (KA1), add the flour
mixture to the bowl. Beat at low speed until all the flour is
incorporated. Increase speed to medium (KA4) and beat until the dough
forms a ball, leaves the sides, and climbes the dough hook, about 10
to 12 min. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after beating about 8 min.

Lightly oil a bowl. Remove the dough from the mixer. Using your
hands, form the dough into a small ball. Place the dough in the bowl
and turn it to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and
set aside in a warm draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Remove the dough from the bowl and invert onto a lightly floured
surface. Gently knead the dough several times. Tuck and roll so that
any seams disappear into the dough and place in the prepared baking
pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free
place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.

About 5 or 10 min before the rise is complete, preheat the oven to
350F and lightly oil a 5 1/2" by 9" baking pan. When rise is
complete, beat the egg and brush gently over the top of the dough.
Bake until lightly brown, about 45 min. Cool on a rack.

Jeff's notes: We made this several times in the past week with good
results. This is my version - I like melting the butter into the
milk. Rises were 1 hour each at 90F, baking time 45 min. We tried 2T
caraway seeds as one reviewer suggested but found the flavor too
strong - and I really like caraway. YMMV.

Reviews for original recipe follow:

Review: Excellent! I made this recipe as written.  Only thing I found
is that I had to let the first rise go 2 hours as it didn't double in
bulk as fast.  It turned out delicious!

Review: I have made this bread recipe 2x now.  The first time, I
followed the recipe and got a good loaf but the texture was less airy
than I wanted.  I also didn't have any caraway seeds so the bread
tasted more like a heavier wheat bread.  The second time, I made 3
substitutions:  I used bread flour instead of AP flour; I used 1 T
molasses in place of 1 T sugar; and I added 2 T caraway seeds instead
of 1 T the recipe calls for.  Someone asked about doubling
caraway:  definitely gives the bread that distinctive flavor, as long
as you like caraway, without being too much.  The bread flour made a
huge difference - got a really great rise during both proofing, and
in the lightness and texture.   Either flour works; don't go out and
buy it unless you want to experiment.  The molasses added a little
bit more color and smoky depth of flavor but again sugar works if you
don't like molasses.  Overall, work recommend this recipe - easy to
make, decent, tasty loaf of rye bread in the end.

Review: Made this bread yesterday and it turned out great!

Review: I mixed and needed the dough in my bread machine but baked it
in the oven.  I doubled the caraway seeds and skipped the egg
wash.  The result is very tasty.
Anyone increase the rye to wheat ratio?

Question: Just made the dough, but wondering if I can make a round
loaf on a cookie sheet? Thank you!
Reply: I baked it as a round loaf on a cookie sheet and it turned out
beautiful.

Review: This is the rye bread I've been dreaming of! Hearty rye and
caraway flavor. Solid, not an airy texture that makes great toast. My
friend made fabulous Reuben sandwiches with this. The bonus is that
it's so easy to make with my KitchenAid mixer. I've made it about six
times in the past month and it's foolproof. I use Bobs Red Mill Dark
Rye flour. A keeper!

Question: Sounds like a really excellent recipe.  Bit I'd like to
make it artesian style (without a bread pan). Will it hold its shape
during baking?
Reply: Yes this recipe will work without a pan, just drag the dough
on your clean counter top build some surface tension.  This is a low
moisture dough, and is really easy to shape without a pan,

Review: I was worried that the dough was low moisture. I put mine in
a Dutch oven, hope it turns out as good.

Review: Oh my, this was easy, fast and delicious. I'm a novice bread
maker and this worked so well! Delicious!

Review: Delicious. This is a much more dense dough than im used to,
but be patient and it will rise! I substituted half of the white
flour with whole wheat flor. I did not have any caraway seeds but
sprinkled the bread with sunflower seeds, thyme and course salt
before baking. A very hearty bread - the whole family loved it

Review: Easy to follow recipe. Not much work involved. Love that the
recipe calls for a Tablespoon of caraway! The bread turned out
fantastic with a beautiful brown crust and great texture! Yummy flavor too!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-rye-bread-3644913
Yield:
   "10 to 12"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 230 Calories; 6g Fat (24.0%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
55mg Cholesterol; 383mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1107