Whole-Wheat Cornbread

Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:16:14 -0800
v122.n001.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Cornbread, Whole-Wheat

Recipe By     : Food Network Kitchen
Serving Size  : 7     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Low Fat
                 Posted                          Side Dish

      3/4           cup  cornmeal
      3/4           cup  flour -- whole-wheat
      3/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1 3/4           cups  buttermilk
   2                     eggs
   1         tablespoon  butter -- melted
   2        tablespoons  honey

Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Total: 30 min
Yield: 7 Slices

Preheat a 10" cast-iron skillet in a 425F oven. Whisk 3/4 cup each
cornmeal and whole-wheat flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2
teaspoon salt in a bowl. Separately, whisk 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, 2
eggs, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 2 tablespoons honey. Mix the dry
ingredients into the wet ingredients. Coat the hot skillet with
cooking spray and add the batter. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.

Cal 157, Fat 4g, Carb 26g, Sod 342mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 6g

Review: I made this the other night to go with white beans. It was a
huge hit. Hubby, kids, and even my father-in-law loved it! It is the
best recipe I have come across for cornbread. I think the honey
really set it off. Wonderful recipe!

Review: This cornbread was amazing. I almost ate the entire 'loaf'! I
made some substitutions based on what was on hand - white instead of
wheat flour, regular milk - and doubled the honey. I don't have a
cast iron skillet, so I baked it in a springform pan. I also added
butter and drizzled honey on top of the cornbread when it came out of
the oven. YUM!

Review: After reading the previous reviews noting that this was dense
and rubbery, I noticed that the recipe only used baking soda for a
leavening agent. I added 1 tsp baking powder, plus 1 tsp vanilla and
a shake of cinnamon. The results were amazing; it was light, moist,
tender and downright delicious. It took all my self-control to limit
myself to 3 pieces.

Review: I was really excited to try this recipe, however, my
cornbread came out rubbery and spongy, rather than light and fluffy.
I'm not sure if my cast iron skillet was too large and I cooked it
too long, or if my homemade buttermilk (milk and lemon juice was the
cause. Not sure I'd try this recipe again.

Review: I received a lot of compliments on this cornbread and was
asked for the recipe multiple times.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/whole-wheat-cornbread-recipe-2107026

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 182 Calories; 4g Fat (19.8%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
67mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1010