Norwegian Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:59:39 -0800
v122.n001.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Norwegian Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Recipe By     : Lyla Franklin
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Grains
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   2               cups  water -- boiling
   1                cup  oats -- quick-cooking
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 pkg (1.4 oz)
      1/2           cup  water -- warm, (110 to 115F)
      1/2           cup  molasses
   1         tablespoon  canola oil
   1           teaspoon  salt
   6               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6 1/2C)
   1           teaspoon  butter -- melted

My mother used to make eight loaves at a time in a wood-burning stove.
It's delicious toasted.

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 40 min.

In a bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Let stand until mixture
cools to 110 to 115F, stirring occasionally.

In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the molasses, oil, salt,
oat mixture and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough
remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface;
knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a bowl
coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9x5" loaf pans coated with
cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter.

Cal 114, Fat 1g, Carb 23g, Sod 77mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: I had made this same recipe over 20+ years ago and couldn't
find my copy.  Happy when I found this because I love the oatmeal and
molasses flavor combination.  Simple bread to make.  To enhance the
oatmeal, whole-grainness of this bread, I ground 2 cups of
old-fashioned oats to make a coarse oat flour and only used 4 cups AP
flour.  I used 2 1/2 tsp yeast (extra 1/4 tsp to compensate for
potential heaviness) and also made 3 loaves instead of 2 to share
with my kids- cut baking time to 35 minutes.  I love the flavor and
texture of this bread and it rose fine both times.  I do think it
would be better as 2 loaves and next time I might use 2 c oat flour,
2 c bread flour and 2-2 1/2 c AP flour.  I used my Cuisinart mixer to
mix and knead dough, which gave it a good long 8 minute workout but
interesting watching the dough become more elastic and change color
as the gluten got more activated.

Review: Very good bread.  My mom made something similar to this.  I
made the following adjustments:  1) Regular oats, not instant; 2) 1/4
cup of molasses.  I thought 1/2 cup would make it too sweet.  I use
Grandma's unsulfered molasses; 3) I used 4 cups of white whole wheat
flour and 2 cups unbleached white.  I used Kroger brand for
the  white whole wheat and King Arthur for the white flour.  Next
time I may use all white whole wheat flour.  If you have never used
it in your baking, give it a try.  Gives a nice, subtle whole wheat
flavor to bread while retaining a white flour texture.

Review: This is an excellent recipe.  I prefer more wheat in my
breads so I added 2 Cups of Wheat flour and 3 Tablespoons of
oil.  After the first rise and punching down the dough I cut into
four sections and produced four round loaves.  They were risen for an
hour, split the top into a cross, rubbed butter into the cross and
baked for 30 minutes.  The final product was absolutely perfect.

Review: Wow!!!!!! I made this for my fam and they LOVED it!!!!!!!! A
little butter and honey and you feel like you entered the gates of heaven!!!

Review: I'm also from Minnesota & was thrilled to find this recipe.
It tastes just like my grandma's!

Review: This bread is great! I mixed it by hand as instructed, and
put it in the bread maker on knead only, it kneaded for eight
minutes. Halfway through the cycle, I flipped it, as this is a big
size for the bread maker.  Then I continued as the recipe instructs.
It tastes sweet, it's smooth, and came out as the best bread I've
made yet! I'll make this all the time!

Review: This was a great bread recipe, very easy to make. It made two
very nice loaves of tender bread with a very mild molasses taste.  I
gave my extra loaf to a couple who don't eat sugar and they really liked it.

Review: I make this over and over.  It turns out perfectly every time.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/norwegian-oatmeal-molasses-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 124 Calories; 1g Fat (8.3%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0430