Pan Pizza Dough

Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:01:02 -0800
v122.n009.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Dough, Pan Pizza

Recipe By     : Sam Sifton
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   1000           grams  unbleached all-purpose flour -- approx 8 cups
   30             grams  kosher salt -- approx 1 1/2 tablespoons
   700            grams  lukewarm water -- approx 2 3/4 cups
   60             grams  unsalted butter -- preferably high-fat
European-style, approx 1/4 cup, melted
   40             grams  olive oil -- approx 3 tablespoons, plus more
to grease pans
   5              grams  active dry yeast -- approx 1 3/4 teaspoons

This is dough to recall the pillowy, golden, butter-crisp pies served
at Pizza Hut in the 1990s, a favorite of the chef and pizza
consultant Anthony Falco. He gave me his recipe for it in 2018, part
of his recipe for pan pizza, but it's terrific under your favorite
pizza sauce and whatever toppings you desire. Plan ahead, though. The
recipe may recall corporate delivery pizza dough. But its preparation
takes time to proof and to develop flavor. That's why it's better.

TIME: 30 minutes, plus 15 to 20 hours' resting time
YIELD: 3 pies

Combine the flour and salt in your largest mixing bowl. In another
mixing bowl, combine the water, butter, olive oil and yeast. Mix well.

Use a rubber spatula to create a well in the center on the flour
mixture, and add to it the liquid from the other bowl, stirring with
the spatula and scraping down the sides of the bowl to bring
everything together. Mix it all together until it is a large, shaggy
ball of wet dough, cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Uncover the dough and, with floured hands, knead it until it is
uniformly smooth and sticky, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Move the
dough ball into a clean mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and
allow to rise for 3 to 5 hours at room temperature, then refrigerate,
at least 6 hours and up to 24.

The morning you want to make the pizzas, remove the dough from the
refrigerator, divide into 3 chunks of equal size (about 600 grams
each) and shape them into oblong balls. Use olive oil to grease three
10" cast-iron skillets, 8" by 10" baking pans with high sides, 7"by
11" glass baking dishes or some combination thereof, and place the
balls into them. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room
temperature, 3 to 5 hours.

Reviewer 1: The dough recipe is similar to a khachapuri recipe I use
for dough; difference is use of butter here, and use of one part
nonfat milk/two parts water in my recipe. Brush dough edge w/egg wash
before baking = a delicious, brown crust.
Two (khachapuri) pies: 420 g flour, 1 t salt/1 t instant yeast/1 T
sugar or honey. Add (115F) 1 c water + 1/2 c milk; make shaggy ball.
Add 1 T olive oil. Rise 1 or more hours, punch down, rise 30 min,
form dough on parchment, bake 450F 15 to 20 min.

Reviewer 2: This dough recipe is the first part of a larger recipe
for complete pan pizza. The baking instructions are in that recipe,
after the topping steps. Here's the link:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019335-pan-pizza'

Reviewer 3: I make pizza in China, and I make smaller quantities, but
the proportions are about the same. Butter is harder to come by, but
I use a quarter whole wheat flour to 3/4 all-purpose white to get a
unique bready crispness when I bake in 12" heavy gauge pans. My oven
is an oversized Chinese toaster oven, but over 4+ years has made many
pizza parties. So if you get a gig in China, your homemade competes
well with Chinese chains.

Reviewer 4: Pizza Hut called and said that you can sub sourdough for
yeast in any recipe. Yay!

S(Internet address):
   https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019336-pan-pizza-dough
Yield:
   "3 pizza pies"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 247 Calories; 5g Fat (20.3%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
7mg Cholesterol; 629mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2018 - 0603