Classic Rich Bread

Wed, 06 Apr 2022 15:39:54 -0700
v122.n012.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Classic Rich

Recipe By     : Red Star Yeast Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Stand Mixer

   8               cups  bread flour -- (to 8 1/2C)
   4 1/2            tsp  Active Dry Yeast -- (2 packages)
      3/4           cup  sugar
   1               Tbsp  salt
   1 1/2           cups  milk
      1/2           cup  water
      3/4           cup  butter
   4                     eggs

A rich white bread - perfect to accompany a meal, to serve toasted
for breakfast or to use for French toast.

Note: *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of
Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise
faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe.

Yield: 3 loaves

In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt;
mix well. In saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat milk, water, and
butter until very warm (120 to 130F; butter does not need to melt).
Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened;
beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough
remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until
smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl
and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, about
1 1/2 hours.

Punch down dough. Divide into 3 parts. On lightly floured surface,
roll or pat each third into a 14 x 7" rectangle. Starting with
shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each
turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8 x 4" bread
pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after
lightly touching, about 45 minutes.

Preheat Oven to 375F. Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden
brown. Remove from pans; cool.

Review: I'm fortunate to have your Centennial Bread Sampler Cookbook.
This recipe is exactly like the original. I can't believe I have
never tried it, but it will be next. My favorite is Special Whole
Wheat made with cottage cheese. Yum !!

Question: What would be the procedure using active fresh yest?
Response: Use 2/3 of a 2-oz fresh yeast cake. The liquid temperatures
can be a bit cooler - shoot for 90-100F. Otherwise you can follow the
rest of the directions as written.

Question: This recipe used to call for 3T of yeast and it is now
reduced to 4 t. Which is the correct amount?
Response: This recipe is from our Centennial cookbook from the
1980's. Two packages (or 4 1/2 teaspoons) of active dry yeast are
called for in this recipe. I hope you will find this information helpful.

Question: What will texture of this bread from inside and outside?
I need a bread recipe which has soft crust. Ideal to eat just bread and butter.
Response: There's nothing quite like homemade bread with a nice
smidge of butter! This recipe contains milk, which will yield a
softer crumb. For a softer crust, I would suggest brushing with
butter after the bread comes out of the oven.

Review: I love this bread recipe! I make it at least once a week for
my family, and they really enjoy eating all of it. It is just a great
full proof recipe. It is an absolutely delicious bread just they way
it is or even better when toasted.

Review: I've used this recipe for over 25 years. In addition to
making a fantastic slightly sweet bread, or dinner roll, or braid it
is an excellent dough to use in cinnamon rolls. Use bread flour. You
can substitute up to 50% of the white flour for whole wheat - add an
extra packet of yeast.

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/classic-rich-bread/
Yield:
   "3 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 264 Calories; 8g Fat (27.0%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 346mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1215