Mom's Buttermilk Biscuits

Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:53:05 -0700
v122.n030.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Biscuits, Mom's Buttermilk

Recipe By     :Vera Reid
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/4           cup  shortening
      3/4           cup  buttermilk

These fluffy biscuits are so tasty slathered with butter or used to
mop up every last drop of gravy off your plate. I can still see Mom
pulling these tender gems out of the oven.

Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Preheat oven to 450F. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking
soda and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Stir in buttermilk; knead dough gently. Roll out to 1/2"
thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter and place on a lightly
greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Freeze option: Freeze cooled biscuits in a resealable freezer
container. To use, heat in a preheated 350 oven 15 to 20 minutes.

Cal 142, Fat 5g, Carb 20g, Sod 281mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: This is a wonderful recipe. After reading the previous
reviews, I did roll them out thicker so they'd rise taller. They
turned out perfectly! No change to the actual recipe though.

Review: Great, simple biscuit recipe! This recipe also lends itself
very well to additions like cheese or garlic and herb. I did have to
make my own buttermilk, by adding a little bit of vinegar to my milk.
As a feild editor for taste of home magazine I enjoyed classic
recipes let me dress them up a little bit with my own ingredients!

Review: I would make these again but I wouldn't roll it out to 1/2"
thickness. More like 1 1/2". They were too flat & thin. They cooked a
lot faster than it said too so next time, thicker.

Source:
   "Originally published as Mom's Buttermilk Biscuits in Taste of
Home April/May 1994"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mom-s-buttermilk-biscuits/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 144 Calories; 6g Fat (34.7%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 287mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0216