Chickpea Fluffy Curried Socca

Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:08:37 -0700
v122.n030.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                   Bread, Chickpea Fluffy Curried Socca

Recipe By     : Minimalist Baker
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Low Fat
                 Posted                          Snacks
                 Vegetarian

   1                cup  flour -- garbanzo bean
      1/2           tsp  sea salt -- heaped
   1                tsp  baking powder
   1                cup  warm water -- scant cup
                         SPICE BLEND
   1 1/2           Tbsp  avocado oil -- if avoiding oil, sub water*
   2                tsp  curry powder -- or store-bought
   1                tsp  cumin seed -- whole, or sub half this amount
in ground cumin
   1                tsp  coriander seed -- whole, or sub half this
amount in ground coriander
      1/4           tsp  mustard seed -- whole optional

Vegan and grain-free socca seasoned with curry spices and baked until
fluffy and golden brown. Just 7 ingredients and simple methods
required for this wholesome side or snack!

PREP: 1:05
COOK: 15 minutes
TOTAL: 1:20
Can Keep: 3 Days

To a medium mixing bowl, add garbanzo bean flour, sea salt, and
baking powder and whisk to combine. Slowly pour warm water into dry
ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Heat an oven-safe cast-iron or metal skillet (we prefer cast-iron)
over low-medium heat. Add avocado oil, curry powder, cumin seed,
coriander seed, and mustard seed (optional) and allow to toast until
just fragrant (~2 to 3 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add spice
mixture to chickpea batter, stir to combine, and then cover with
plastic wrap or a towel and allow to rest on the counter for 1 hour
(or at least 30 minutes).

Once the socca has rested, preheat oven to 425F (218C). Also heat the
oven-safe cast-iron or metal skillet from earlier over medium-high
heat (it should still have a little oil from cooking the spices
earlier, which is great for preventing sticking). Once hot, add
enough chickpea batter that, when you swirl it around the pan, the
batter spreads into a large, thin pancake that reaches the edges of the pan.

Carefully transfer the hot skillet to the oven and bake for 10 to 15
minutes or until bubbles have formed, the edges have browned, and the
top is slightly golden brown.

Remove from oven after baking and let cool in the pan for a few
minutes. Then gently loosen with a spatula and slice on a cutting
board (or slice right in the pan). Repeat cooking process with the
remaining batter (our cast-iron skillet is 10" in size and yields two
large pieces of socca as the recipe is written).

Serve as is or with anything you'd enjoy with naan. Or eat this with
dips such as hummus or baba ganoush. Best served fresh. Leftovers
will keep at room temperature for 3 days or in the freezer for up to
1 month. Enjoy at room temperature or reheat on stovetop until warm.

Notes: As recipe is written, yields 2 large round pieces of socca bread.
If subbing water for oil, make sure to use a non-stick pan.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional
ingredients.

Cal 78, Fat 4g, Carb 7g, Sod 221mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 3g

Review: This was really good and easy. I served it the next day with
hummus, olive oil, and za'atar and it was delicious. I recommend
reheating it in the skillet because otherwise it gets a bit crumbly
and loses its crispiness.

Review: Oh, so delicious! I loved this a lot. And, it tasted
surprisingly delightful with a bit of apricot jam on it as well. Thanks!

Review: Made this last night, and leftovers were used tonight to mop
up lentil and carrot soup. Absolutely delicious, and works
wonderfully even in my terrible student oven! I substituted avocado
oil for olive, used the ground spices, and also added a 1/4 tsp
ground turmeric. Simply delicious.

Review: I make this all the time - LOVE it! To simplify, I put the
curry/spices right in with the batter and heat up some butter in the pan.

Review: I ate this so fast! This was easy and unbelievable tasty. The
aromatics and the warmth makes this comfort food!

Review: Yum!! I made this today and it was super delicious and easy!!
I subbed avo oil for coconut oil, omitted coriander seeds and just
used a small amount of garam masala and turmeric powder. Also used a
little bit of cooking oil spray before pouring the batter in because
there wasn't much of an oil coating. Thank you so much for the
recipe, it's one of my new staples for sure!

Source:
   "adapted from At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen by the Amy Chaplin"
S(Internet address):
   https://minimalistbaker.com/fluffy-curried-socca-chickpea-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 84 Calories; 3g Fat (31.2%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 180mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1211