Barley Flatbread With Nigella And Sesame Seeds

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sat, 05 Nov 2022 16:13:14 -0400
v122.n033.1
This recipe uses barley flour, a less common form of the barley grain. The author is in Arizona between Phoenix and Tucson. Haysen mills produces flours used by Barrio Breads -- the bakery in Tucson that won the top James Beard award for baking this year.

Per notes -- I am using Alaska Barley Flour -- as that is what is sold here in Alaska. Good flat bread that freezes and toasts well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

       Barley Flatbread With Nigella And Sesame Seeds

Recipe By   :Emma Zimmerman
Serving Size : 4   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories  :

  Amount Measure      Ingredient -- Preparation Method
 2          teaspoons instant dry yeast
 1         tablespoon vegetable oil
 1           teaspoon fine sea salt
 1 1/2    tablespoons granulated sugar
 120               ml Whole (full cream) Milk -- (4 1/2 oz/1/2 cup)
 130            grams Bronze Barley Flour -- (4 1/2 oz/1 cup)
 120            grams all-purpose (plain) flour -- (4 1/2 oz/1 cup)
 1         tablespoon melted butter or olive oil -- for brushing
  1/2      tablespoon nigella seeds
  1/2      tablespoon sesame seeds

Lightly oil a large mixing bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the
yeast, vegetable oil, salt, sugar, milk and 120 ml (4 fl oz/ 1/2 cup)
water and mix on low speed. Add the flours and mix on medium speed
until it forms a shaggy ball. Switch the mixer off and allow the dough
to rest for 20-30 minutes.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for
4-6 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in the oiled
bowl, cover and allow to proof for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in
size.

Divide the dough into four even pieces and roll each one into a long
oval. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment (baking) paper,
cover loosely and rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 260C (500F).

Bake the breads for 2-3 minutes, then flip them over and bake for
another 2-3 minutes until they are golden and slightly puffed. Remove
from the oven, brush the tops with butter or olive oil and sprinkle
with the nigella and sesame seeds. Enjoy warm.

 "Makes 4 large flatbreads"
Source:
 "The Millers Daughter Unusual Flours Heritage Grains Stories and Recipes from Hayden Flour Mills"
Copyright:
 "Hayden Flour Mills"
Yield:
 "4 Flatbreads"
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 54 Calories; 4g Fat (63.2%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium; 5g Total Sugars; 0mcg Vitamin D;
11mg Calcium; trace Iron; 5mg Potassium; 7mg Phosphorus. Exchanges: .

NOTES : Authors Note:
Oftentimes, artisanal flour is associated with one particular style of
hearth bread - a well-risen, mounded rustic loaf, the Instagram
sourdough shot, something straight out of a French boulangerie. While
I love my classic European loaves, we can't neglect the wonderful
world of flatbreads. This version draws on flavors and traditions from
Persia, India and Tibet. The barley flour makes these flavorful enough
to be eaten on their own, but my favorite pairing is with scrambled
eggs for brunch.

Kens Notes -
I have Alaskan Mills Barley Flour available so used it.

I seldom have full fat milk available so add a tablespoon of softened
butter or neutral oil. Buttermilk and oil works too.

Bread flour instead of all purpose flour provided easier gluten
development and smoother edges on the flat bread. Leaving the seeds
off provides a nice folding flat bread for sandwiches.

Recipe doubles well. Round flat breads instead of long ovals also
works well. Pretty foolproof bread product.