Dilly Caraway Rye Bread

Tue, 05 Mar 2024 20:38:58 -0800
v124.n005.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Dilly Caraway Rye

Recipe By     :Red Star Yeast Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   2 1/2           cups  bread flour -- (to 3C)
   2 1/4            tsp  Active Dry Yeast
   2               Tbsp  sugar
   2                tsp  salt
   2                tsp  caraway seeds
   2                tsp  dill seeds
   1                cup  milk
      3/4           cup  water
   2               Tbsp  shortening
   1 1/2           cups  rye flour

Light and airy, with a soft crust and filled with caraway and dill
seeds, this egg free bread is just what you need to make delicious
deli sandwiches.

Yield: 2 loaves

In large mixer bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups bread flour, yeast, sugar,
salt, caraway and dill seed; mix well. In saucepan, heat milk, water
and shortening until warm (120-130F; shortening does not need to
melt). Add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat
3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in rye flour and
enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured
surface about 5 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn
to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface,
roll or pat each half to a 14 x 7" rectangle. Starting with shorter
side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch
edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8 x 4" bread pans. Cover;
let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly
touching, about 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 375F oven for 30 to 40
minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove
breads from pans and finish cooling on wire rack.

You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast.
Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster;
always let your dough rise until 'ripe'. Bread Machines- use 1/2 tsp
Instant yeast (or 3/4 tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe.

Review: Excellent! I've tried dozens of sandwich bread recipes, and
this bread is the best so far. The dill and caraway are subtle and
don't interfere with any spreads or fillings, regardless of whether
they're sweet or savory. The crumb is soft, moist, tender and
slightly loose. I subbed rye sourdough discard for some of the rye
flour and water. The dough is tacky but kneadable by hand. I was
skeptical that there would be enough dough for 2 loaves, so made one
loaf in a 9X5 pan and 2 buns. The first rise was just over an hour,
but the second rise took much longer. Although there wasn't a
dramatic oven spring, the bread domed nicely.

Review: Not hard to make! I buy dill-rye bread at the store, so I
thought I would try making it instead...glad I did! I love this bread!

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/dilly-caraway-rye-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 144 Calories; 3g Fat (17.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
2mg Cholesterol; 275mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1217