Challah

Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:32:45 -0700
v124.n007.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Challah 1

Recipe By     :Jill Weinberg
Categories    : Bread                           Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   4 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (2 1/4-oz envelopes)
   2          teaspoons  sugar -- plus
      3/4           cup  sugar
   2              large  eggs -- beaten to blend
   4 3/4      teaspoons  kosher salt
      1/2           cup  shortening -- melted, plus more for greasing
   7               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for dusting
   2              large  egg yolks
                         Sesame seeds -- for serving

Senior editor Julia Kramer's mother, Jill Weinberg, shared her
family's challah recipe with us - it is truly revelatory. All we can
hope is that our faithful version comes close. (For best results,
bake weekly for several decades.) This recipe makes two loaves, but
it can easily be halved.

Makes 2 loaves

Whisk yeast, 2 tsp. sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a
stand mixer (or a large bowl if kneading by hand). Let sit until
foamy, about 10 minutes.

Whisk eggs, salt, 1/2 cup shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, and 2 cups warm
water in a medium bowl. Add egg mixture and 7 cups flour to yeast
mixture. Beat with dough hook on medium speed until dough is smooth,
elastic, and very sticky and pulls away from sides of bowl, about 10
minutes. (Alternatively, knead dough on a lightly floured surface
until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.)

Grease a large bowl with shortening; transfer dough to bowl. Cover
with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size,
1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal
portions. Shape each into a 17"-long rope.

Grease 2 rimmed baking sheets with shortening. Place 3 ropes side by
side on each prepared sheet. Working with one at a time, pinch logs
together at 1 end; braid, then pinch ends together and tuck under.
Let sit in a warm place until 1 1/2 times larger, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 325F. Beat egg yolks and 2 Tbsp. water in a small
bowl. Working with one at a time, brush dough with egg wash and
sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake first loaf 15 minutes, then increase
oven temperature to 425F and continue baking until browned and sounds
hollow when tapped, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool on baking sheet.

Reduce oven temperature to 325F, then leave oven door open 5 seconds
to cool down. Repeat baking with remaining dough.

Do Ahead: Challah can be made 3 days ahead; keep tightly wrapped at
room temperature, or freeze up to 1 month. Let cool before storing.

Review: I think this is a great base recipe! I do a few things a
little different and it has worked out great. I treat it as I would a
different sweet/pastry/bread recipe. I bloom the yeast in a separate
bowl with the 2 cups of warm water and sugar(I use a tbsp honey).
Then I cream together the shortening (I use butter) and sugar, and
add the eggs. The salt goes with the flour, and I only used a heaping
tablespoon, since someone in the comments said it was too salty. Mix
all together, let rise, and then I do one plain and one with the
chocolate babka filling (chocolate, brown sugar, cinnamon). 325 for
10min and then 375 (or 400 if not browning enough) for 15-20

Review: Agree with others that the 425 turn up would burn your
challah. I have an old oven that is very off temp wise so I strictly
go off of my thermometer so I know it was accurate. I only left mine
in at 425 for less than 7 minutes and it got so brown it is
borderline burnt. If I were to follow the instructions it would have
been ruined. I would just keep it at 325 and then maybe pop to 375 to
brown? I would adjust the recipe description as this seems to have
happened to several people.

Review: These turned out fantastic! I would reccommend adding the
full amount of liquid, it's sticky at the beginning but mine are a
bit dry, probably because I added too much flour. For everyone who
found the oven tem to high or whose loaves burned, I suggest getting
an oven thermometer because temerature dials are often inaccurate. I
used a thermometer and they were perfect.

Review: Great recipe, very easy to follow. This isn't as eggy as
challahs i've had in the past and is a little more sweet. Don't be
alarmed by the amount of salt, it is a double recipe after all! Most
important tip i would give is that my oven definitely didnt need to
be turned up, i was successful with baking my second loaf at 375 for
30 to 35 minutes while my first loaf burnt!!!!

Review: I actually found that the proportions worked for me, it
really came out perfectly. Maybe I would hold back a bit on the salt,
but all in all, it was a hit.

Review: I halved the recipe as I only wanted to make one loaf.
Followed the recipe exactly, even after reading all the comments. I
did a traditional high holiday braiding, and everything came out
great even though I slightly overbaked it. Brought it to break-fast
and everybody LOVED it. Will definitely make again.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/challah
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 279 Calories; 7g Fat (23.8%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
47mg Cholesterol; 506mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0808