stiffly beaten egg whites & rising bread

Patt Bromberger <van-bc!squid.tram.com!patt>
Sat, 9 Nov 1991 09:05:00 GMT
v002.n024.5
In bread Digest	Thursday,  4 Apr 1991 Volume 2 : Issue 6
re:  Welbilt Recipe Club Recipes..  Rick Turley <rickt@hpfccg.sde.hp.com>
posted a recipe for:

FINNISH EASTER BREAD
- - --------------------
A wonderful "old world" bread - rich  enough to serve as dessert.  Spoon  Cream
Cheese Topping over slices of warm or cold bread.

INGREDIENTS                     ABM-100           ABM-300/350
yeast                           1 pkg             1 1/2 tsp
bread flour                     3 cups            2 cups
sugar                           2 T               4 tsp
salt                            1 tsp             1 tsp
water (80 deg)                  1 cup             2/3 cup
oil (80 deg)                    1/4 cup           1/4 cup
egg yolk (room temp)            2                 1
SETTING                         Sweet Bread       MEDIUM
                                12 o'clock

Before the end of the secondary  kneading, the electronic beeper will sound  10
times.  At this signal, add:

raisins                         1/2 cup           1/3 cup
almonds                         1/2 cup           1/3 cup
grated orange rind              1 tsp             1 tsp
grated lemon rind               1 tsp             1 tsp
stiffly beaten egg whites       2                 1
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[see question below, please]

Cream Cheese Topping:
1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened              1/8 tsp salt
2 T milk                                          2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Prepare Cream Cheese Topping:  In  small mixer bowl, blend cream cheese,  milk,
vanilla and salt; beat until smooth.  Gradually add powdered sugar; beat  until
fluffy.

QUESTION:  I have tried another recipe for French Bread - I believe
		I got that recipe from the DAK catalog - it required
		the addition of 2 stiffly beaten egg whites - the
		resulting loaf rose too high and we had to cut the
		top off the bread - I was so disappointed.

		Has anyone come across a solution for breads that
		rise too high in the bread maker?

Thank you!

best,
patt

"Corn can't get no justice in a court full of chickens."
                                                -- African Proverb