Converting manual bread recipies

"Eisenreich, Pete" <Eisenrei@space1.spacenet.jhuapl.edu>
Tue, 11 Jan 94 08:06:00 est
v005.n002.2
>  From: Jim Carey <JCAREY@cykick.infores.com>
>  Does anyone have any experience converting a hand-made recipe to a
>  machine recipe?  Any pointers?

I've had fairly good luck doing this.  The key is to get the
flour/water/yeast ratio right.  The flour/liquid is not hard, you
just reserve some of the liquid and add it slowly as it kneads.
(Write down how much liquid for next time.)  You probably have a
reasonable feel for how much yeast your machine needs.  I use 2/3
tsp per cup of flour, and about 3 oz liquid / C. flour.  I frequently
measure all liquids together, including eggs, honey, etc..
Bread with whole grains or non-wheat flours may require a little more
yeast.  A slack dough with all white flour doesn't need quite as much.
This is for a Hitachi which doesn't seem to need as much yeast as some
others.  Here's a recipe i recently made in the machine, worked fine.

Dilly Casserole Bread,  1960 Pillsbury Bake-off winner.

2.5  C   Flour
2    Tb  Sugar
1    Tb  Dried Minced Onion
2    ts  Dill Seed
2/3  ts  Salt
1/4  ts  Baking Soda
2    ts  Yeast
1/4  C   Water
1    Tb  Butter/Marg.
1        Egg
1    C   Creamed Cottage Cheese

The 2.5 C flour is kinda odd, but it was half of the published 5 C.
I show 2 tsp yeast because most machines use a little more than
the Hitachi and I use a little extra on the "rapid" setting.

The bread is quite good.  I've avoided dill bread probably because of
my brain associating it w/ dill pickles, but I remember my mother
making this when I was a kid.  It was recently re-published in the
the Baltimore_Sun, so I gave it a try.  Also, I ignored all instructions
about heating things on the stove and cooling back down etc..  Just
Nuked the cottage cheese for a few seconds to take the chil off.

Good luck.