Converting Recipies

mkjensen@iastate.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 94 16:43:55 -0600
v005.n002.3
I've managed to convert loads of recipes from hand-made to breadmaker
without any problems.  All you need to do is scale down the quantities
of the ingredients so that you have the appropriate amount of flour (ie
two cups of flour for a one pound loaf, three cups for a 1.5 lb loaf etc.)
then add the ingredients in the order that you normally would for your
'maker.  For example, if you have a recipe that calls for 12 cups of flour,
5 cups of water, 2 packets of yeast etc., and you have a 1.5 lb breadmaker,
you would use 3c flour, 1 1/4 c water, and 1 1/2 tsp yeast.  Handy
conversion factors:  1/4 cup equals 4 Tbsp.   1tbsp = 3 tsp
If I remember correctly, one packet of yeast is about 1 tbsp.  I also
find that one small egg works well in recipes that call for 1/2 egg.

You may have to play around a bit to find the amount of liquid (usually
give or take about a tablespoon) and the amount of yeast (to compensate
for shorter rising times) that gives the best results.

I have several converted recipes for things like Sally Lunn and
cinnamon rolls if anyone is interested.

			Good Luck!
			-Martha

mkjensen@iastate.edu