Re: Semolina Bread request

"Beneway, Douglas E" <JZMC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU>
Sun, 18 Dec 94 22:42:17 EST
v005.n049.7
On Mon, 12 Dec 1994 8:18:41 -0600 (CST), Jen Griffin
<LOSTEYE@dsm1.dsmnet.com> asked:

> I am looking for a bread machine recipe that uses semolina flour,
> preferably in large amounts (2-3 cups, versus 1/4 cup).

Semolina bread *is* nice.  I don't know if this recipe has enough
for your tastes, but it works for me.  You can always experiment
with a higher proportion.  (I make this in a Regal K6773):

SELMER'S SEMOLINA BREAD - 1 1/2 lb

Wet ingredients:

     1 cup +
     3 tbl  Beer   (non-alcohol)
     2 tbl  Oil    (canola)
     2 tbl  Honey  (supermarket)

Dry ingredients:

     2 cup  White Flour  (bread)
 1 1/2 cup  Semolina
 1 1/2 tsp  Salt
     2 tsp  Yeast

Variation:

     1 cup +
     2 tbl  Beer      (non-alcohol)
 1 1/4 cup  Semolina
   1/4 cup  Millet    (whole)

Notes:

1. Beer is almost always the main fluid in my standard breads --
it gives them a bit heartier flavor and seems to help the rise.
I don't know how beer with alcohol might affect rising.  You can
always substitute water.

2. The Mid-Hudson River Valley where i live can get very humid in
the summer and very dry in the winter.  Because of this, the main
fluid measurement might vary by as much as + or - 2 tablespoons
(!) from the average amount in a recipe, depending on how much
moisture the flour has absorbed from the air.

3. Canola oil is high in mono-unsaturated fats (which help bring
cholesterol to the liver to be broken down) and very low in
saturated fats (which deposit cholesterol in the arteries).
Butter is very high in saturated fats, and many margarines are
high in trans-fatty acids, which may have detrimental effects
similar to saturated fats.

4. Off-the-shelf (supermarket) honeys are usually processed.
Unprocessed (raw) honeys might contain biologically active
ingredients which could play around with the rising.

5. If you try the Millet variation (highly recommended!), be
sure to use hulled Millet (the kind designed for humans, not
bird-food millet).  It gives a nice, soft crunchiness to the
loaf.  Rinse it in a strainer and let it drain before adding.  I
read somewhere that you can lightly toast the millet seed ahead
of time, but i haven't attempted it.

If anyone tries either recipe, I'd enjoy hearing how it turns
out.  Suggestions are welcome also.  Enjoy!

- Douglas Beneway <jzmc@musicb.marist.edu> <jzmc@maristb.bitnet>