Welbilt machines, hand-baking, etc.

fritz@ben.dev.upenn.edu (Katherine Fritz)
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:25:30 -0500 (EST)
v005.n049.8
> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 20:58:41 -0800
> From: sgumpel@leland.stanford.edu (Susan Gumpel)
> Subject: archives?
>
> I am new to this group. In my subscription message, I noticed talk of an
> archive site. Where is it? Can I ftp from it?

As Jim, our esteemed moderator, noted, there is currently no ftp site for
bread digest archives.  They are available by email from a listserver
(instructions at the beginning of each digest).

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:19:31 EST
> From: "Bill Rubin" <rubin@watson.ibm.com>
> Subject: Re: BREAD Digest V5 #46 (Welbilt machines)
>
> With the prices of bread machines dropping (and especially with so many
> sales this time of the year) I think that you can do a lot better than to
> buy a Welbilt machine, given that there have been stories here and
> elsewhere about how they tend to break down.  I have a Toastmaster (the

As the owner of a Welbilt ABM-100 for going on 4 years now, I feel the
need to defend my machine! :-)  I know there have been reports of
problems, but I've never had a lick of trouble, mechanically.  I have
occasionally had problems with loaves that didn't bake all the way
through -- this has generally been solved, either by adding gluten during
the mixing stage, changing the cycle from White to Sweet, or by putting
foil over the top of the glass dome.  Anyhow, I've been happy with the
Welbilt, and *would* buy another.

> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 00:11:59 -0500
> From: GGDA@aol.com
> Subject: Re: BREAD Digest V5 #47
>
> Doesn't anyone out there bake WITHOUT  a bread machine?  Where are the
> artisan bakers who still believe that no bread machine can ever match a hand
> process.  I am not suggesting that all kneading be done by hand, but I am
> definitly not interested in baking bread in a box.

<restraining urge to strangle>

This comes up periodically, generally from new subscribers.  This list was
founded 5 years ago specifically as a list for users of bread machines,
and this has never changed.  You will, therefore, find that the vast
majority of messages on this list deal with the use and care, etc., of
bread machines.  We *do* have subscribers who make their bread by hand,
and they are welcome on this list.  Disparaging comments about bread
machines are definitely *not* welcome, however.  If you want to talk
about hand-baking, go for it.

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:30:06 -0500
> From: Valerie Mates <popcorn@cyberspace.org>
> Subject: DAK customer service tips?
>
> I'm still looking for the "DAK customer service tips" list of bread machine
> tips that was posted to this list a long time ago.  If you have it, could
> you e-mail it to me at popcorn@cyberspace.org?  Thanks!!

I don't have a list of DAK customer service tips, but I do have a list of
bread machine tips from Pillsbury that I posted to the list quite awhile
ago.  If that interests you, let me know.

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:46:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: obrien@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB)
> Subject: My $.02 to the many advice requests

[snip]

> I see a lot of different ideas, but putting the yeast in under the
> flour and then all liquids on top seems to work well even with the
> timer set 8 hours forward, so I won't be worried about a yeast
> dispenser.

Whether the yeast goes on top or bottom depends on the manufacturer's
instructions.  DAK/Welbilt machines get the yeast on bottom, followed by
flour, other dry ingredients, then liquids on top -- but some machines
reverse the order.  The old "your mileage may vary" routine. :-)

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:43:34 -0800
> From: karant@gallium.csusb.edu (Dr. Yasha Karant)
> Subject: REQUEST: comparison between big Zo and Panasonic?
>
> I have heard good things about both these units.  We currently have
> the big Zojirushi (with the custom programmable cycle), but it does
> not have a yeast dispenser nor any "cast iron", items which the
> Panasonic does have.  Do these make a difference?  Are the loaves

I think the Panasonic is the only one with a separate yeast dispenser, but
I could be wrong! :-) The idea behind the yeast dispenser is to prevent
premature activation of the yeast, particularly when using a timed cycle.
I have a Welbilt (no yeast dispenser), however, and I've never had this
problem.  From what I've heard and read, the Panasonic and the big Zoji
are quite popular, and people who have them have been very satisfied.

--
         Katie Fritz -- Internet: fritz@ben.dev.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 71257,3153--S2 Ferrets Section Co-Leader, Animal Forum--GO PETSTWO