Dough Enhancer

robert.turnbull@buchrd.markivaudio.com (Robert Turnbull)
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 22:52:51 GMT
v006.n040.2
I use a dough enhancer manufactured by Kitchen Specialties.
(purchased at Apple Valley Market in Berrien Springs Michigan) It it
claims to be 100% natural, improve texture and extend shelf life. My
experience is that the texture and shelf life claims are true. The
bread is finer textured and rises more consistently. It does not
affect flavor adversely if at all. I just tasted some of the dough
enhancer by itself and found it to have very little flavor. The
dominant flavor is of yeast (although quite mild).

The listed ingredients are: Whey, soy lecithin, tofu powder, citric
acid, yeast, salt, spice blend, corn starch, vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
and natural flavor.

According to "Practical Emulsions" (published around 1948) the
function of lecithin in bread is to help emulsify the shortening. I
suppose the citric acid and ascorbic acid are responsible for extending
shelf life.

I use 2 teaspoons of dough enhancer in a loaf of bread containing 3 cups
of flour. The can states that 2 to 4 tablespoons per 12 cups of flour
should be used depending on personal preference.

robert.turnbull@buchrd.mkivaudio.com
soon to be:
robert.turnbull@buchrd.markivaudio.com