Basic Questions

Bonnie Pollack <bpollack@umd5.umd.edu>
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 18:46:10 -0500 (EST)
v006.n057.9
I finally bought a breadmaker.  The " sale " did it after all that research.
I love it (snowed in with my Toastmaster Breadbox)

#1.  Why can't I use all purpose flour. I have some to get rid of two
large packages

#2  What is gluten and where is it sold?  And if I have to add it, in
what quantity?

#3  Can bread be salt or sugar free or does the yeast need them to rise?

#4  What is "proof the yeast"

#5  Why do measurements have to be so exact?  I cook with "pinches" and
get crazy when asked to do something EXACTLY.
 I have most of my trouble with the yeast packets.  Some of the recipes
ask for a 1/4th more or less.  I dump the entire packet and it seems ok.

Much thanks for the help you all gave me in my efforts to find a
breadmaker.  This is a most awesome list.  Thanks in advance for help
with these questions.   Bonnie

Bpollack@umd5.umd.edu