bread-bakers-digest V6 #68 -- manual vs. machine

"Angie Klidzejs" <a-klid@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Tue, 13 Feb 96 15:33:25 CDT
mixer, definitely get the 5 qt model.  I started out with the 4.5 qt
"Classic" model (250 watts) a little over a year ago.  While it was
adequate for most things, I wasn't entirely happy with it.  Some bread
doughs and double-batches of cookies simply stopped the machine.  I lucked
out because a friend was interested in buying it from me.  I immediately
went out and bought a 5 qt Heavy Duty model (325 watts) which works much
better when I decide to push it.  Even going one step up, to the 350 watt,
might not be a bad idea for those who have the extra money to spend.
Check prices at various kitchen supply stores, and watch prices at
major department stores -- the mixers do go on sale from time to time.
If you can find a good sale, the price is not that much greater than for
the 4.5 qt models.  The other drawback to the "Classic" mixer was its
screw-base bowl with no handle; this sometimes got stuck in the mixer and
was hard to remove.

<Cherie Ambrosino <Cherie_Ambrosino@cch.com>
<Date: 5 Feb 96 11:50:01
<Subject: manual v machine

   On another note, I'm planning to fill R2D2s old space with a mixer, so
I can wimp out on some of the heavy kneading [and make more loaves in an
evening!] but I'm confused.  I know theres a 4.5 qt[?] and a 5qt model.  I
vaguely remember the frugal gourmet [who would never tell us anything but
the truth!] saying he liked his 5 qt best because it had a stronger motor
- - his 4.5 qt didn't do very well with kneading dough - is this still
true?  I know the 5 qts are always significantly more money than the 4.5
[which are often also on sale!] - I don't mind spending the extra if the
lesser one won't work well, but I'm not sure I am right about the reason -
any tips?  I'd appreciate comments from others who use this method as well
- - and thanks again to all of you for the great recipes - this is my
favorite list!  Cherie

- -

Angie Klidzejs                      Internet:  a-klid@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Accountant
Department of Horticultural Science
University of Minnesota
305 Alderman Hall
1970 Folwell Avenue                            Telephone:  (612) 624-3795
Saint Paul, MN 55108   U.S.A.                  Fax:  (612) 624-4941