Vegan Oat Bran Bread

sherry@gorge.net (Sherry Rose)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:21:17 -0700
v096.n005.15
Vegan Oat Bran Bread

>From Sherry Rose
sherry@gorge.net

I devised this recipe from several others and have made it for a few years.
It consistently comes out wonderfully in my bread machine (West Bend), and
it makes great rolls, buns, and cinnamon rolls and pullaparts. It has an
exquisite though not overpowering flavor. I make my bread on basic and light
color settings.

tsp. = teaspoon
Tbsp. = tablespoon

Add ingredients in the order required by your bread machine:

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. real maple syrup
1 cup water (heated to 80 degrees if required by your machine)
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup wheat bran
2 cups Better for Bread flour (if you don't have this or wish to experiment,
include as part 	of the flour 2 Tbsp. to 1/4 cup gluten flour)
1/4 cup Sucanat
1 Tbsp. powdered soymilk
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

If making rolls, set on dough cycle. When done, fashion into the shapes you
want. Heat oven for 2 minutes, thenTURN IT OFF. Cover rolls with a moist
kitchen towel. Place in oven for 20 minutes, or until doubled. Remove rolls
from oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 20 minutes or until done.

Bread slicing tip: Let your bread cool for at least one hour or better
overnight before cutting. I use a bread slicing rack with several slits and
a special knife for slicing bread that costs about $4 -- money well spent!
--
Sherry Rose                  come see springtime in the magnificent Gorge
                                    . . . . looking east, updated 4/19/96

sherry@gorge.net          http://home.aol.com/Sherry4803