Bread with no yeast - Chapati

Don Jorgensen <earthwrm@u.washington.edu>
Thu, 2 May 1996 19:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
v096.n009.20
Kristin,

I found several recipes  - things like salt rising bread and various
quick breads.  I can send these untested recipes along to you if you
like, or post them to the bread-bakers list.  But here's a recipe
for _chapati_, an East Indian flat bread.  I've made this several times
and like it very much.           ...Nadia

Chapati:   2-1/2   c       whole wheat flour
           2       T       butter
           1       t       salt
           1       c       lukewarm water

Put 2 cups flour into a large mixing bowl.

Cut butter into small pieces.  Make a hollow in the center of
the flour and add butter.  Rub butter into flour with your
fingertips until mixture looks like large bread crumbs.

Mix salt into water.  Add enough water, a little at a time, to
flour mixture to make a firm (but not stiff) dough.

Knead dough in bowl for about 5 or 10 minutes.  Cover bowl
with a damp cloth and let stand at room temperature for at
least 1 hour.

Divide dough into 1-1/2 inch pieces, and roll each piece into a
smooth ball.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup flour onto a flat surface.  With a
rolling pin, roll out each ball until it resembles a thin pan-
cake.  [Try not to incorporate too much extra flour into the
chapati - it makes them tough.]

Heat a heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.  Place
one chapati in the center.  When small brown spots appear and
the edges begin to curl up (in about 1 minute), turn the
chapati over with a spatula.  Cook chapati for about 2 minutes
or until small brown spots appear.  Wrap the cooked chapati in
a towel to keep them warm.

Makes 12 to 15 chapati.

Note:  Butter may be omitted, or the amount of butter may be reduced.