Re: Challa

Kathi Sandler <kas@flash.net>
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:02:02 -0500
v096.n032.6
This is the Challa recipe we use EVERY Friday night.  I have let it bake
in the machine and I have taken it out and braided it.  Either way, it
makes GREAT French Toast!  If there are leftovers!

To Danny Dunn-who must also be in my area-with flash.net...think about
how much lower the cost would be if you used the yeast from Sam's at
$3.06 (I saw yesterday here in Houston) for 2 POUNDS!!!  Makes that
1 1/2 tsp worth how much???  Kinda like the water! : )

Kathi

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 Challa I

Recipe By     : Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever
Categories    : Jewish Foods                     Breadmaker

   2 1/4  t.            active dry yeast
   2 3/4  c.            + 1 T. Bread flour
     1/4  c.            + 2T sugar
     3/4  t.            salt
   3 1/2  T             vegetable oil
   3                    egg yolks
   1      cup           water

Add ingredients in order suggested for your machine.

At end of dough cycle, remove, form into tree pcs.  Put on lightly
greased sheet, allow to double.  Preheat oven to 350.  Roll each pc to
rope 18 inches long. Braid, pinching ends together.  Glaze with i egg,
beaten.  Let rise again til doubled.  Bake 30 min or til bottom is
golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Makes 1 1/2 pound loaf.