Ode to Anadama

t4v8f4jv@coastalnet.com
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:21:30 -0400
v096.n032.7
Here is the recipe I use, very light.  Tastes like a dream.
                                             Jean

                                Anadama Bread
3 Cups Water
3/4 tsp yeast ***see note***
6 - 7 cups flour (I use 2 cups wheat, remaining white, but you can use all
wheat or white)
1 1/4 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp sea salt (table salt can be substituted)
3 tbsp corn oil (must use corn for best flavor)
3 tbsp molasses

1> Proof yeast in 1/4 cup  of the water with 1 tsp flour.
2> Sift cornmeal with 3 1/2 cups of flour, stir into yeast and remaining
water.  Stir 100 times, then cover with towel and let sponge.  (After 1 hour
or so, air pockets will form, looking like a sponge.)
3> Stir in salt, oil & molasses.  Gradually stir in enough remaining flour
until dough is formed.  Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.  Place in
greased bowl, turn, cover and let rise until double.  (1 1/2 - 2 hours)
4> Punch down, let rise again until double ( 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
5> Punch down, form into two loaves. Place in greased pans sprinkled with
cornmeal. Let rise until double, about 1 hour.    Slash tops, brush with egg
wash and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until internal temp is
190 degrees.

NOTE: If eliminating sponge step, use 2 tsp yeast.  Entire process can be
done in a large food processor or Kitchenaid for ease.