Portugese Bread

~REality <Ausetkmt@cris.com> (by way of "~REality REaching.." <ausetkmt@concentric.net>)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
v096.n043.8
I located this on my hunt for another recipe, but felt it was a keeper,
so I'm not too selfish <g>, Here Guys, You can have it too..<s>
IT Was Found at this location..
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/wchuang/cooking/recipes/Pastries
/Portugese_Bread.txt

			PORTUGUESE SWEET BREAD
			      (PAO DOCE)

Makes 2 loaves

Up and down the northeastern seaboard of the United States are fans of this
melt-in-your-mouth Portuguese bread.

2 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water (105 to 115F)
1 C lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
3/4 C sugar
1 t salt
3 eggs
1/2 C margarine or butter, softened
5 1/2 to 6 C flour
1 egg

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, 3/4 cup sugar,
salt, 3 eggs, margarine and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in
enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto
lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Place in greased bowl. Turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm
place until double, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Dough is ready if indentation remains
when touched.) Punch down dough and divide into halves. Shape each half
into round, slightly flat loaf. Place each loaf in greased round
9x1 1/2-inch layer cake pan. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350F. Beat 1 egg slightly and brush over loaves. Sprinkle with 1
teaspoon sugar. Bake until loaves are golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.

SNAIL LOAVES (CARACOIS): After dividing dough into halves, roll each half
into a rope about 25x1 1/2-inches. Coil each to form a snail shape in
greased round 9-inch layer cake pan. Proceed as directed.

~RE

~REality
Ausetkmt@cris.com
Listmanager - ThinkTank & Afrospirit-L