sprout bread

J&L Hutchison <74444.3462@CompuServe.COM>
23 Sep 96 18:55:16 EDT
v096.n043.7
Scott asked if anyone had experience with wheat sprout bread.  It is absolutely
one of our favorites and well worth the small amount of trouble of sprouting the
wheat berries.  Here is the recipe from Donna Germans original The Bread Machine
Cookbook.  This is for a medium loaf.

SPROUT BREAD Donna German

water 3/4 cup
margarine/butter 2 Tbl
sugar 1 Tbl
salt 1 1/2 tsp
sprouted wheat berries 1/2 cup
bread flour 2 1/2 cups  (I use one cup whole wheat plus 1 1/2 cups bread flour)
nonfat dry milk 3 Tbl
yeast 11/2 tsp

load in machine in order given by manufacturer

Heres how to make sprouts. About 2-3 days (depending on temperature) before you
want to bake your bread  soak 1/2 cup wheat berries in cold water overnight.
Use a jar covered with cheesecloth or sprouting jar.  In the morning drain.
Rinse and drain at least 2 times a day or more until "tails" appear.  Tails can
be between 1/8-1/4 inch long.  Wheat berry sprouts should be no longer than the
berry itself.

Hope you enjoy this bread Scott, and I hope others will try it too.

Jenny