Re: Digest bread-bakers.v096.n042

Herbert Foster <foster@scr.siemens.com>
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:46:10 -0400 (EDT)
v096.n043.11
Subject: Sourdough starter source

As far as I know, Ed Wood still sells sourdough starters. The address is

Sourdoughs International, Inc.
P.O. Box 993
Cascade, Idaho 83611

As of a year ago, they were $10.50 each. Of interest is the book _World Wide
Sourdoughs From Your Bread Machine_, for $11.95

There are 9 or more different starters. For the ABM crowd the Russian and
Red Sea starters are good and fast. I use the France starter in my machine.
It is milder and still rises fast enough for an overnight cycle. For a
fast bread I use (Gasp!) yeast.

You can, of course, make your own starter, but it's a chancy afair. I am still
using one of mine. Another was quickly discarded because it smelled like...
Well, this is polite society.

Herb Foster