Fall Breads!

sxm20@psu.edu (Susie Milner)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:34:44 -0400
v096.n045.17
As the season starts to change here in Pennsylvania, I have begun digging
out my "fall recipes"--mostly soups, stews, and breads.  I'm mailing a roll
recipe below, that I got out of Bon Appetit last winter.  It was great for
Thanksgiving!  I just made it again last weekend for a monthly potluck, and
the rolls were a big hit.

What kind of bread says "fall" to you?

By the way, the recipe is for a mixer or hand-kneading.  I have only tried
it with my kitchenaid, not with ABM.  I would love to hear from someone who
finds a way to adapt it for ABM (might have to reduce amounts as it takes
over 4 cups of flour).

Maple-Nutmeg Pumpkin Rolls
Source: Bon Appetit, Dec. 1995, p. 38

makes 18 rolls

1/4 C warm water
2-1/2 tsp dry yeast (or one packet)
4-1/4 C (approx) all-purpose flour
2 Tbs plus 1/4 C sugar

1/2 C milk
2 Tbs butter
3/4 C canned solid pack pumpkin
1/4 C pure maple syrup
2 lg. eggs
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg

To make sponge:  dissolve yeast in water in large heavy-duty mixer bowl.
Add 1/4 C flour and 1 Tbs sugar and mix in.  Cover with plastic and let rise
in warm place 45 mins, until very foamy.

When sponge is ready: bring milk and butter just to a simmer in pan on
stove--remove from heat and stir to melt butter.  Cool 10 mins.  Whisk in
pumpkin, syrup, eggs, salt, nutmeg, and remaining 1/4 C plus 1 Tbs sugar.

Whisk pumpkin mixture into sponge.

Using mixer with dough hook, mix in enough remaining flour, 1 C at a time,
to form dough.  Mix until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if sticky,
about 5 mins.

Cover bowl with plastic and a clean kitchen towel; let dough rise in warm
draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour 30 mins.

Grease 2 heavy baking sheets.  Punch down dough.  Transfer to floured
surface and Knead until smooth.

Divide dough into 18 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into your favorite roll
shape (mine is bowknot!) and arrange on prepared sheets.  Cover and let rise
until doubled, about 45 mins.

Preheat oven to 425 deg F.  Bake rolls until golden brown, about 15 mins.
Transfer to racks and cool slightly.

Notes:

Be careful when baking--because of the syrup and sugar they will burn easily
if left too long in the oven.

These are a really pretty golden-orange color inside!

Susie Milner