Thanks and a recipe

LGaggini <gaggini@usaor.net>
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 09:39:57 -0400
v096.n047.12
I would like to thank you all for the generous response for my search of
Babka recipes. I have tried a few and they were good. After my post a
friend of mine told me her mother, who is Polish, makes this at Easter
and will show me how to make it. I will post the recipe once I get my
hands on it.
Anyway, I would like to share a recipe I have for Shaker Bread. I am a
KitchenAid bread baker so you machine people, set it aside for this one.
My family will eat all of this bread in one sitting, but if you happen
to make alot, it freezes well. Credit goes to Jeff Smith, the recipe is
in his book "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American". I hope I am not
violating any copyright, by sharing this. I recommend his book, it is
good.

Shaker Daily Loaf

2 pkg dry yeast			2 tsp salt
1/4 c warm water		5 c all purpose flour
1 3/4 c milk
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar

Dissolve yeast in water in your KitchenAid bowl. Warm the milk and add
the butter to melt. Stir in the salt and sugar, cool to lukewarm. Add
this to the yeast along with 3 c of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add
remaining flour and knead with dough hook for about 5 minutes. Place
dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double. Punch down and
shape into 2 round freeform loaves or place in 2 9x5 bread pans. Cover
and let rise again.
Preheat oven to 400F. Bake bread in pans for about 30 minutes. Freeform
breads for about 20-25 minutes. When done, grease tops of bread with
butter.

Enjoy!

Laura Gaggini