submit recipe

Adam & Chanda Starr <astarr@computer-services.com>
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:50:34 -0600
v096.n056.15
I have this recipe for a bread basket. Although I have never tried it, the
picture looks great. Was thinking of making these for Christmas so if you
make the basket let me know how it turns out.

Bread Basket
 2 1/2 cups warm water (105-115F)
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine, softened
61/2 to 71/2 cups unsifted flour
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon milk

Measure warm water into large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until
dissolved. Add sugar, salt, margarine, and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth.
Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly
floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place
in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free
from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Generously grease 4 strips heavy duty foil 10 inches long and 21/2 inches
wide. Place around edges of a 10 inch wire rack. Generously grease outside
of a large mixer bowl (about 8 3/4 inches in diameter and 4 1/2 inches
deep). Invert onto foil.
Punch dough down. Divide into 24 equal pieces; set 2 aside. Roll 22 pieces
into 30-inch ropes. Twist two together; repeat with remaining ropes. Wrap
twists of dough around bowl, beginning at bottom, touching foil. Pinch ends
of twists to seal. Cover entire surface of bowl.
Place 2 more greased of foil on a wire rack. Grease another bowl with the
same diameter. Invert onto rack. Roll reserved pieces of dough to 24-inch
ropes; twist together. Place over bowl, with ends touching foil, to form
handle for basket.
Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about
30 minutes.
Combine egg and milk; brush mixture gently on basket and handle. Place in
hot oven with wire racks directly on oven rack. (Do not use baking sheet.)
Bake at 400F, about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. For higher glaze,
brush basket and handle once during baking. Cover with foil, if neccessary,
to prevent uneven browning.
Remove from bowl and cool on wire racks.
To serve, fasten handle onto basket, using toothpicks. Fill with dinner rolls.