lowfat cinnamon rolls

charles moffat <moffats@usaor.net>
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 06:44:02 -0500
v096.n065.9
Here is a recipe for cinnamon rolls that turned out very well. My DH & son loved
them. The dozen are a bit large so the next time I'll probably make 16.  And it
doesn't use a bread machine for those that have been asking for regular
recipes. :)
Enjoy!  Lavon

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                          Low-Fat Cinnamon Rolls

Recipe By     : American Dietetic Association
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

   2 1/2  cups          flour -- up to 3 cups
     1/4  cup           sugar
   1      package       yeast -- rapid rise
   2      tablespoons   nonfat dry milk
     3/4  teaspoon      salt
     3/4  cup           warm water -- 120-130 degreesF
   6      ounces        pear baby food
   3      large         egg whites
   1 1/2  cups          whole wheat flour
   2      tablespoons   honey
     1/3  cup           packed brown sugar
   1      tablespoon    cinnamon
     3/4  cup           raisins

Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, dry milk & salt. Stir
in water & baby food. Stir in egg whites, whole wheat flour &
enough remaining all purpose flour to make a soft dough. On a
lightly floured surface, knead until smooth & elastic, about 4-6
minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.

Roll dough to 18 x 12 rectangle. Brush honey on dough; sprinkle
evenly with brown sugar, cinnamon & raisins. Beginning at long end,
roll up tightly; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place,
cut sides up, in a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Cover & let rise in a
warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan;
cool on wire rack. Drizzle with icing if desired.

Icing: Combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 3-4 tsp skim milk &
1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.

Per roll: 241 cal, 1 g fat, 0mg chol, 172 mg sod, 4 g fiber

NOTES : I used a combination of raisins & craisins for the filling.
Also used almond extract in the icing.